Cedar Point announces Maverick for 2007

Posted Thursday, September 7, 2006 3:34 AM | Contributed by Jeff

Cedar Point's new Intamin coaster will combine speed and low curves with a western theme. The lift is powered by LSM motors to 105 feet with a beyond-vertical 95-degree drop. An LSM launch sends the three-car trains out to 70 mph over 4,450 feet of track.

Read more from PointBuzz and Cedar Point.

Link: PointBuzz

Related parks

Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:00 PM
Thats what I was thinking but couldn't find a ride with a similar Element on it.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:03 PM

bigboy said:
I believe [twisted horseshoe roll is] just a new name for a common inversion. Similar to the "jojo roll" on Hydra.
Hydra's JoJo is a slow barrel roll, and the "twisted horseshoe roll" they're referring to is the twin corkscrews, I assume.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:06 PM
Yes its the twin corkscrew thing accoring to Cedarpoint.com and I also found on the site, it is the first ever horseshoe roll. http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/ride/stats/ It's under fun facts. NEW ELEMENT YAY!

Just adding a comma
*** This post was edited by TonyBlackjack 9/7/2006 6:21:32 PM ***

+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:27 PM
Is it me or does 21 million seem like a lot for what this ride is?
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:59 PM
Acoustic Viscosity's avatar That's what it costs for all that Intamin-quality launch technology! Although at over 4000 feet of steel track, it would probably cost about $15 Million without the launch equipment.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:08 PM
21 million really doesn't seem like a lot for this ride to me. There is quite a bit of technology in it.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:36 PM
It sounds expensive, but like you said with the amount of technology involved and all the themeing I'm not to surprised. I think it is a great addition though. It gets away from the extreme thrill coasters which will help to draw a more diverse and larger amount of people, rather then just the die hoard thril seekers like they were attracting with TTD.
*** This post was edited by MAGXL200 9/7/2006 7:38:51 PM ***
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:41 PM
Reminds me of Storm Runner. Forget TTD, this has got all the elements entusiasts like minus the height...
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 8:03 PM

Between dispatch from the station and clearing the brake block behind the launch is 53 seconds.

I think that could be two blocks: one from dispatch to the top of the hill, and one from the crest of the hill to the pre-tunnel brake.

+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 8:13 PM
The ops better be in good shape. Those harnesses aren't the easiest to push down. Looks a fun ride and I hope to get to ride it in 07'.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 8:48 PM
SFoGswim's avatar On usual coasters, the lift hill is its own block, but I don't think that's possible with the LIM's. Are they able to just hold a coaster at the top? Even on Millennium Force, they won't dispatch a train until the final brakes are clear, even though the cable could obviously halt.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 9:00 PM

And, 48" height restriction on a coaster with OTSR's? Never heard of another ride that does this.

X at SFMM has a 48'' hieght restriction.

But maybe that is beacuse it uses those wierd new X shaped OTSR on the 2 Arrow 4D coasters.

+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 9:13 PM

Are they able to just hold a coaster at the top?

I assume that the train has a solenoid-driven anti-rollback, just as Millennium does. If there is, you can just stop the train halfway up. If there isn't, it's going to really suck if the power failed. ;)

+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 9:30 PM
^^X isn't the only coaster with OTSRs with a 48" requirement. As a matter of fact, I can't think of an Arrow or Vekoma (sans the flyers and GIBs) looper with OTSRs that has a height requirement higher than 48". My daughter has been on a bunch of coasters with OTSRs with a 48" requirement.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 9:53 PM
HeyIsntThatRob?'s avatar Not to mention that Iron Dragon has OTSRs with a 46" requirement.

~Rob Willi

+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 10:15 PM
SFGAdv's Great American Scream Machine has a 54" requirement.
+0
Thursday, September 7, 2006 10:29 PM
SFoGswim's avatar I understand in the worst case scenario that the train would stop and the anti-rollbacks would kick in, but I assume the park doesn't want that happening just on a whim every once in a while.
+0
Friday, September 8, 2006 12:26 AM
rollergator's avatar Maddie, I've ridden GASM-II many times...I think it's a 54 IQ requirement... ;)
+0
Friday, September 8, 2006 12:55 AM
Me likey!! (ALOT) I will be definitely heading to the point next year!
+0
Friday, September 8, 2006 1:55 AM
I think it looks excellent and unique. Can't wait to ride it next year!
+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2021, POP World Media, LLC