Breakout year for SF


Lord Gonchar said:

matt. said:
What happens when my Lord Gonchar branded tires blow out because of a manufacturing defect and my wife and 6 year old twins die in a fiery crash? Does Lord Gonchar get a free pass because I made a crappy choice?

Yes, I do...and my lawyers would make sure of it.


And a month after your "Lord Gonchar Tires, LLC" goes out of business with no money out of your pocket, you can have "Gord Lonchar Tires, LLC" up and running. ;)


Yeah is Good!
Lord Gonchar's avatar
Now you're thinking! :)

You're hired!


The Mole's avatar
Once I got to SF and see the characters that were promised, the ride and show improvements, and see where that extra money is going since they raised the price, then I'll listen to him. Until then, I'm going to act like I did when he first came on board: lots of lip service and no action.

Swoosh said:
I would just be happy if I could go to ONE SIXFLAGS PARK without having to see a gum wall of some kind. That is so gross and they seem to be in ever single SF Park. WHY IS THAT? I have yet to see a CF park with one.

LOL. Once again, the longer you make teenagers wait in line, the more you risk damage to any number of things in the park, including each other. Why is there minimal gum walls, line jumping, fights and queue trash at Cedar Point and Disney?

Simple, they keep the lines moving. It's a simple strategy that even works on RCT! ;)

matt.'s avatar

majortom1981 said:
YEah I have been to disney with the same amount of rides down. Last august the middle of my vacation half of epcots rides didnt open till 12 and then you had rides like living with the land wich was closed for refurb.


There's a big difference in Living With the Land being down for refurb, and my last visit to SFGAdv with KK down, Superman down for half the morning and running one train the rest, Chiller down all day (duh), and Nitro down from 5:00pm to close.

In other words in 2005 I didn't get to ride the major coasters they built in 2005, in 2003, in 2001, and 1998.

I've never heard of that kind of downtime at a Disney park.


majortom1981 said:


I know the chain needs alot of work but if your going to compalin , complain about the real problems.


We ARE complaining about the real problems, you just have some thing for Six Flags and can't stand us bashing their parks.

For years, Six Flags have been characterized by the following (and pretty much anyone who's been on this site for years will back me up):

1. High prices

2. Long lines due to inefficient operation.

3. Frequent ride closures.

4. Bad food.

5. Deficient flat ride/family ride selection.

6. Line jumping due to parks being "teen babysitters".

7. Dirty midways, overflowing trash cans, patehtic bathroom conditions.

8. Dreadful "we don't care" customer service.

Last year, Mark Shapiro promised that Six Flags would improve dramatically, offering an experience that go beyond what people were used to from Six Flags. And before he implemented a single change, he jacked up the already-high prices. When the season began, people found they were paying even more for the same crappy experience they were used to.

If those aren't the real problems, what are?

And what does it matter if we don't know what's going on behind the scenes? Is it supposed to make us feel better that there might be a very good reason why we're having such a miserable time at the parks?

Fill a bathtub with water, and toss a toaster (plugged in, of course) into it. Now get in. Guess what's going to happen? There's a good reason you got electrocuted, but is that going to be enough incentive for you to try it again?


Rob Ascough said:


A few years back I went to SFMM in June. June is right smack in the middle of the summer season, so you would expect the park to be running at its best, right? Wrong. Superman was closed for rehab. Deja Vu was down. I won't even get into Flashback. At least two or three flats weren't running. The tower was dormant, ditto the inclined railway. Of the coasters that were running, only Goliath, Viper, X and Psyclone were running more than one train. Not only did we have to deal with ride closures, we had to deal with inefficient operations as well. I don't like close to California so for me, a trip to SFMM hapepns once in a blue moon. Considering we made the trip to CA, drove from Newport Beach to Valencia and spent a ton of money to get into the place during peak season, there was no excuse for rides to be shuttered. Everything should have been running, and running efficiently. Disney had all their rides open. So did Knott's, Scandia, Santa Monica Pier and Belmont Park. We expected- and received- what we went to those parks for. Why should SFMM be exempt?

Maybe someone can explain to me where this pathetic amount of expectations came from?


So, I don't see your point. How bad were the lines? It's no big deal if D Vu', and Superman are down. Flashback is just obvious. They need new trains for the ride, and they don't want to buy them. It's a safety concern, and it's also because of Hurricane Harbor.

You have to give something better than that. I was wishing for that park to get rid of some roller coasters. That's the reason why. They have too many to deal with. They had 14 coasters open!! ???? How many park have 14 coasters to begin with?

For the Sky Tower, what's the point? It's not a ride. It's for taking pictures. It's a waste opeing that "ride". The monorail was down for who knows long. It's not going to open anytime soon.

Basically, it's listening to everyone else who says that the park is bad, and you make same impressions. I don't agree with one train op unless the lines were short. There are just too many roller coasters at that park. CF gives all the money to CP. SF doesn't give all the money to SFMM. There are just too many parks that SF owns to do that. They might get the same amount of money (not including new rides) that SFStL gets. It's expensive operating all those coasters. I know alone that Superman costs a lot of money with every launch.

Don't forget that they spend quite a bit of money on D Vu, and X because they are prototypes. This is whether hiring more mechanics, or buying new trains (harnesses) for them. *** Edited 2/27/2007 4:58:58 PM UTC by Ilovthevu'***

Lord Gonchar's avatar

Rob Ascough said:
For years, Six Flags have been characterized by the following (and pretty much anyone who's been on this site for years will back me up):

1. High prices

2. Long lines due to inefficient operation.

3. Frequent ride closures.

4. Bad food.

5. Deficient flat ride/family ride selection.

6. Line jumping due to parks being "teen babysitters".

7. Dirty midways, overflowing trash cans, patehtic bathroom conditions.

8. Dreadful "we don't care" customer service.


I'll give you all but #1.

Up until last year SF pricing was generally too low at the gate and pretty on par with similar parks inside the park. And if you're looking to go the season pass route, they still are too low.

But other than that, you're good. :)



Rob Ascough said:

majortom1981 said:


I know the chain needs alot of work but if your going to compalin , complain about the real problems.


We ARE complaining about the real problems, you just have some thing for Six Flags and can't stand us bashing their parks.

For years, Six Flags have been characterized by the following (and pretty much anyone who's been on this site for years will back me up):

1. High prices

2. Long lines due to inefficient operation.

3. Frequent ride closures.

4. Bad food.

5. Deficient flat ride/family ride selection.

6. Line jumping due to parks being "teen babysitters".

7. Dirty midways, overflowing trash cans, patehtic bathroom conditions.

8. Dreadful "we don't care" customer service.

Last year, Mark Shapiro promised that Six Flags would improve dramatically, offering an experience that go beyond what people were used to from Six Flags. And before he implemented a single change, he jacked up the already-high prices. When the season began, people found they were paying even more for the same crappy experience they were used to.

If those aren't the real problems, what are?

And what does it matter if we don't know what's going on behind the scenes? Is it supposed to make us feel better that there might be a very good reason why we're having such a miserable time at the parks?

Fill a bathtub with water, and toss a toaster (plugged in, of course) into it. Now get in. Guess what's going to happen? There's a good reason you got electrocuted, but is that going to be enough incentive for you to try it again?


If all you do is complain about SF than stay away from there parks so none of us have to listen to you whine like my 6yr old daughter.

rollergator's avatar
^^ Gonch...assuming Rob was referring to prices INSIDE the gates, I'll agree with him. If he was referring to gate (which I kinda doubt), I'll agree with you.

Am I really afraid of commitment? ;)

edited for Aj: Take a deep breath. We oftentimes discuss MORE than our personal feelings. As a business, SF needs to consider what their CUSTOMERS are thinking. We help them do that...even if we don't always AGREE with their customers, it's important to note what THEY are thinking.
*** Edited 2/27/2007 6:03:14 PM UTC by rollergator***

matt.'s avatar
Yup, page 5 is about right.

This is the time when the people who blindly defend park or chain "X" no matter what give us the good ol' "If you don't like it so much then maybe you shouldn't go. Shorter lines for me!"
or some such variation.

Which of course completely ignores that the people who are bitching about park or chain "X" are exactly the people who have stopped going long before someone on an internet message board suggested it.

I guess once I realized I was getting consistently pwned I'd probably try something close to the same.

Note: Page 7 is when Gonch and I get into some panty twisting and hence rant at eachother for 2 pages, and then realize we were agreeing with each other the entire time. *** Edited 2/27/2007 6:09:47 PM UTC by matt.***

Lord Gonchar's avatar
Ok, cool. I'll be back in two pages. :)

Seriously... are some of you on crack?


Ilovthevu' said:
So, I don't see your point. How bad were the lines? It's no big deal if D Vu', and Superman are down.

How can you not see my point? Are you blind? The lines were terrible. 90 minute wait for X. 60 minute wait for Viper. 60 minute wait for Batman. 80 minute wait for Riddler. Part of that was because of one-train operation. Part of that was because not all of the park's rides were open, meaning there wasn't enough capacity to satisfy demand. How is it "no big deal" that some rides weren't open? If the park advertises those rides as part of the experience, they should be open. I don't get why it's okay to expect them to be closed.


You have to give something better than that.

No, I don't have to give you anything.


Basically, it's listening to everyone else who says that the park is bad, and you make same impressions.

Stop acting like a tool. I'm not listening to what anyone says, I'm giving you my impressions of the park based upon my experience. I made that abundantly clear in my post, and I'm sorry for you if you can't see that. That's what everyone here is doing- they're complaining about Six Flags parks because they've been to Six Flags parks and had bad experiences. What the hell is wrong with you?

^^^^ Shut up, aj. This is constructive criticism, not the bitch-fest that you're making it out to be. We're talking about our experiences at Six Flags parks. If YOU can't deal with it, ignore the thread, because we're not going to stop saying negative things because you're some ignorant fanboy that's getting all heated over nothing.

^^^ Yes gator, I was referring to prices INSIDE the park. Gonch is right- Six Flags gate prices have historically been on the low side, but not food and other costs associated with a day at a Six Flags park. I've made it clear that I'm not someone that generally complains about prices but from what I've seen in the past, prices are kinda high and that is something that many cite as a problem with Six Flags parks.

rollergator's avatar
"Constructive criticism"? Isn't that an oxymoron? Criticism tears things down, it doesn't build them up. You've got it all wrong, Rob.

Signed, Devil's Concigliere... ;)
*** Edited 2/27/2007 9:05:59 PM UTC by rollergator***

Always foiling my well-planned missions. Damn you, kryptonite ;)
Well, I hope that the year is a turn around. I saw a few improvements last year at SFMM, this year seeing improvements I've never seen before.

That being said, I think the greatest challenge is running the park when it's crowded. At those times, lines do become freakishly long, they sometimes can't keep up with the mess in spots, long food lines, etc. Going during the off season is great though, everything is looking pretty clean, a few lines (mostly for Tatsu and now X), food quality still off and I'm hoping for that change this year too. But it's progress.

In comparison to Disney, I've had similar experiences with ride closures. I've been to DL plenty of times when rides are closed ( Subs was a decade?, Peoplemover - almost a decade no end in sight), and some of the rides are down for refurb - Splash, CA Screamin (happening more with Midway Mania construction, Space MT. (was it 2 years? before the new track was finished?) and so on. There was a point a few years ago when the mountains were all closed at the same time ( Splash - refurb, Thunder - accident, Space - construction.) It's pretty dissapointing to run into those closures as I don't visit DL that often. It's like looking foward to a trip and then having everything go wrong, it really does impact whether or not I want to roll the dice on whether or not to do a repeat visit.

I just chalk up bad days at DL, Knott's (Ghostrider, Plunge, and Xcel down at the same time!), and SFMM as just that, bad days and not true of their entire year.

Yeah, but there is a difference with Disney. Most closures are planned and can be found out about before visiting.

SF you show up to ride the MARQUEE ATTRACTION and it's down due to lack of spares, undermanned or budget cuts.

Chuck

I can give you a dozen sites that list what Disney attractions are going to be down for rehab, and when. When there is a problem with a Cedar Fair coaster (like TTD), the park is usually nice enough to post something on their website (like they did in 2003). Six Flags doesn't do that, and to the average park guest, it seems as though there is no rhyme or reason to the ride closures.
matt.'s avatar

DBJ said:
In comparison to Disney, I've had similar experiences with ride closures. I've been to DL plenty of times when rides are closed ( Subs was a decade?, Peoplemover - almost a decade no end in sight), and some of the rides are down for refurb - Splash, CA Screamin (happening more with Midway Mania construction, Space MT.

There's big difference between a ride being "down" and a ride being "closed." I know we use the words interchangably sometimes but you can hardly compare a ride being completely closed like the Subs or being completely rebuilt like Space Mountain to the reliability and capacity issues at some SF parks.


dexter said:
I saw the partially rebuilt third train hiding behind the station many times a day as I drove my paddle wheel boat around the lagoon with my own 2 eyes


Most people use their legs. Damn, you must have really strong eyelashes! :) Sorry, I couldn't resist commenting on the phrasing of that one, dex. (Embellishment of the type in dex's comment is mine for those who read my post and said, "Huh?")

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2022, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...