What do you think will happen to all of Magic Mountain's coasters?

Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:26 PM
What do you guys all think will happen to Magic Mountain's coasters if the park is done for and the mountain is sold. They'd probably be auctioned off? I could easily see Flashback getting the wrecking ball, along with maybe Psyclone as it is very unsafe. Do you think the Flags would put them at their other parks? I know this may be very far into the future. One thing I'm especially curious about is what will happen to Ninja as it is one of my favorites. Its layout might not fit anywhere else as it goes around the summit and requires the end lift. Thoughts on Ninja or the rest?
+0
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:27 PM
A park of that size would never auction off individual coasters. The place would be sold as a whole.
+0
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:32 PM
I think you're putting the cart before the horse here.
Real Cbuzz quote of the day - "The classes i take in collage are so mor adcanced then u could imagen. Dont talk about my emglihs" - Adamforce
+0
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:43 PM
Perhaps. I'm just curious as to what people assumed would happen to the park and it's costers.
+0
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:46 PM
^^ Was going to say...the park hasn't even been sold yet and we're already discussing this?

Haha no I'm not giving Patrick the finger

+0
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:58 PM
Well we're just way ahead of ourselves now aren't we Jim? ;)
+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 12:58 AM
I agree. The hurst hasn't left the funeral home. The park isn't six feet under yet.

A day at the park is what you make it!

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 1:07 AM

Austin the Ninja said:
What do you guys all think will happen to Magic Mountain's coasters if the park is done for and the mountain is sold. They'd probably be auctioned off? I could easily see Flashback getting the wrecking ball, along with maybe Psyclone as it is very unsafe. Do you think the Flags would put them at their other parks? I know this may be very far into the future. One thing I'm especially curious about is what will happen to Ninja as it is one of my favorites. Its layout might not fit anywhere else as it goes around the summit and requires the end lift. Thoughts on Ninja or the rest?

Funny you should ask! I posted this in the other thread -

For all of you jumping at the idea of relocating Magic Mountain's coasters elsewhere, keep yourself in check. A good handful of their coasters are custom designed into rolling terrain and would not be candidates for relocating. I know each and every one of these rides and how they fit into their part of the park and the following coasters would either need SERIOUS/MAJOR modifications to supports and track, and some not able to be relocated at ALL.

For those that are not EXTREMELY familiar with the park, FYI, the only coasters at this park that sit on relatively flat or completely flat land are The Riddler's Revenge, Flashback, Scream!, Colossus, Psyclone, Batman The Ride, Deja Vu, Goliath Jr., and Canyon Blaster. Everything else listed below was built to fit the rolling and sloping hills of the park and have very big elevation changes. Keep in mind, the damn park wasn't named Magic MOUNTAIN for no reason.

- Gold Rusher (high dependancy on current terrain, VERY, VERY LOW possibility of relocation)

- Revolution (high dependancy on current terrain; VERY, VERY LOW possibility of relocation)

- Tatsu (high dependancy on current terrain, VERY, VERY LOW possibility for relocation)

- Superman The Escape (dependancy on current terrain; VERY VERY LOW possibility of relocation)

- X (dependancy on current terrain; LOW possibility of relocation)

- Ninja (high dependancy on current terrain; VERY, VERY LOW possibility of relocation)

- Viper (dependancy on current terrain; LOW possibility of relocation)

- Goliath (dependancy on current terrain; LOW possibility of relocation)

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 2:30 AM

kRaXLeRidAh said:

Austin the Ninja said:
What do you guys all think will happen to Magic Mountain's coasters if the park is done for and the mountain is sold. They'd probably be auctioned off? I could easily see Flashback getting the wrecking ball, along with maybe Psyclone as it is very unsafe. Do you think the Flags would put them at their other parks? I know this may be very far into the future. One thing I'm especially curious about is what will happen to Ninja as it is one of my favorites. Its layout might not fit anywhere else as it goes around the summit and requires the end lift. Thoughts on Ninja or the rest?

Funny you should ask! I posted this in the other thread -

For all of you jumping at the idea of relocating Magic Mountain's coasters elsewhere, keep yourself in check. A good handful of their coasters are custom designed into rolling terrain and would not be candidates for relocating. I know each and every one of these rides and how they fit into their part of the park and the following coasters would either need SERIOUS/MAJOR modifications to supports and track, and some not able to be relocated at ALL.

----


Hi. I'm a concrete footer extension. I make things easy.


Nice try though.


+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 3:06 AM
I'd really f'in love to see the concrete footer extensions for Tatsu.

And the elevator to get to Superman's station.

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 3:20 AM
^ LOL
+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 3:50 AM

Vincent Greene said:

Hi. I'm a concrete footer extension. I make things easy.


Nice try though.


Hi. I'm Vincent Greene and I'm really not too familiar with these rides and how extreme the elevation changes the rides face in relation to the terrain below them, but I'm going to be bold, try and smart alec-it and offer my perfect solution, which in reality, would not be feasible for most of those coasters mentioned.

Nice try, as well, Vincent. :)

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 8:04 AM
I fully admit to never having been to the park, but if one of those coasters were wanted enough couldn't the land at the destination park be sculpted similarly to MM for a fit? I'd imagine some earth could be removed to accommodate for the lower portions of the ride, used with the varying footer heights mentioned by Vince. Perhaps this would be way too much work for some of the more extreme cases, but for rides like X or Goliath I'd imagine a park could make it happen. There are some pretty talented and able people in the construction/engineering industries, but it's always a matter of cost I suppose.
+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 8:06 AM
Hi, I'm Brett and I'd like to refute half of what krax is saying in two threads with the same post :)

________________

Going back to the relocation, I realize it would require some groundwork in X's case and some steel fabrication work in Superman's case, but how are these two coasters not easily relocatable? From what I remember, Superman is just a flat shot out to that tower, just the tower happens to sit some 100' off of "level" with the station. You could move the entire ride, cut the metal from the bottom of the tower and you'd probably be fine. Remember, you're shortening it, not lengthening, so your only structural problems might be stability, but a few angled pieces can solve that problem for a lot less money than junking a ride that would be a star at another park.

Relocating X wouldn't be too hard either, the thing sits mostly level. Again, in some cases, it'd be nothing more than just cutting DOWN some supports in places. The only portion of the ride that seems to "hug terrain" is the first drop, and it's not like parks haven't dug pits just to accomodate a first drop before (heck, didn't MM do that when they installed X in the first place?). If you take a look at this pic, you can see the majority of hte ride (other than the first drop) sits on flat land:
http://www.rcdb.com/ig750.htm?picture=6

Viper is also an easy relocation candidate. Check out this photo:
http://www.rcdb.com/ig25.htm?picture=10
The thing might be built into the side of the mountain, but the construction site is a flat piece of land. That's another relocator.

And even Goliath is in the same position as X. Check out these two photos, you can see the entire thing was built on completely flat land, and a pit dug out for hte first drop - something easily accomplished at a new location.
http://www.rcdb.com/ig615.htm?picture=10
http://www.rcdb.com/ig615.htm?picture=9

So add in these four with Batman, Canyon Blaster, Colossus, Deja Vu, Flashback, Goliath Jr., Psyclone (although it should be burned, not relocated), Riddler, and Scream and you're relocating 13 of their 17 coasters. Other than Tatsu, you're not losing any rides that aren't rather outdated anyway, and they'd be hard to pass off as "new" rides at other locations. We all know SFMM is famous for not having flats, so how again is this park not ripe for the selling? Just my very drawn out 2 cents


Brett, Resident Launch Whore Anti-Enthusiast (the undiplomatic one)
+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:14 AM
^^ Game, set, match. Impulse-ive.

Most of their coasters are on relatively flat land. The only ones that would be a problem to relocate would be Tatsu, Ninja, Gold Rusher, and Revolution.

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:18 AM
^Tatsu would be the only loss.
+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:20 AM
Aw... c'mon! No love for Ninja?! I swear I'm the only person who loves a front-seat ride on that coaster.
+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:24 AM
How can self proclaimed coaster fans be so nonchalant in discussing the demise or dismantling of one of the world’s largest thrill parks? The east coast could probably spare a park or two. Maybe we should be discussing the closure of SFNE, SFGAdv, or SFA, instead of discussing closing one of five thrill parks on the entire western half of the North American continent.

I am also frustrated about how Six Flags has screwed up many of the parks they have purchased. Like many parks, Magic Mountain was not always part of Six Flags. Before Six Flags set out to make the Mountain the park with the most coasters in the world, it was a pretty family friendly place. To say it should be closed because it now has too many coasters is just retarded.

If Six Flags new management is not willing to go beyond their window dressing, superficial adjustments to fix what the company broke to begin with (a family friendly atmosphere), then they need to pass the park on to a company willing to make the investments. I too see Busch’s Asia park as the best possible outcome for the Mountain. Busch does everything great in all that Six Flags has lacked.

So lets keep the frustrations focused on the folks responsible for making the park suck to begin with. As for the Mountain, I hope it finds owners who recognize the parks true potential. You have to be blind not to see it.

What other big thrill parks would you like to see demolished? *** Edited 6/23/2006 3:31:57 PM UTC by rc-madness***

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:38 AM

rc-madness said:
Maybe we should be discussing the closure of SFNE, SFGAdv, or SFA, instead of discussing closing one of five thrill parks on the entire western half of the North American continent.

Fine with me. Is GAdv that much different that the current situation at MM?

+0
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:51 AM
GAdv is on valueable land but with the Philly and New York markets and the crowds they have been packing in before Toro opened and now that it has opened. I'd say GAdv has little chance of being sold.
Watch the tram car please....
+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...