In your opinion, what is the best ride to ride at night you've ever ridden? Any ride, coaster or flat. For me I would say Nitro or Medusa (sfgadv) because when your going up the lifthill on both rides, you cannot see a darn thing, and I just think its really fun when its hard to see where you're going to go.
TTD at night... The greatest moment is sitting in the front seat on that launch track and staring at this HUGE illuminated tower, and looking up and seeing these beams of light continuing forever into the sky.
Wicked Twister is pretty sweet at night, too...
I haven't ridden MF at night yet, but I hear it's great. SRoS @ SFDL is pretty good, its course isn't lit after the lift hill...
My favorites would have to be the Phantom's Revenge during the regular season and the Thunderbolt during Phantom Fright Nights. There is nothing that can compare to the final ride of the night at about 12:56 on a chilly October evening on the Thunderbolt.
Any great woodie gets better at night. It is too bad HW has the hours it does, but Legend and Raven are just awesome in the dark. For steel I would have to go with MF and Volcano. I'm guessing Hades will make a decent night ride too. ;)
1. Tremors, Silverwood. During the day the opening sequence of drop, tunnel, bunny hop, tunnel, rise, lateral slam is by far the most intense opening salvo on a wooden coaster, period. Transform that to nighttime and it becomes even scarier. Then add a second helping of the same sequence at the end of the ride and you got yerself a winner.
2. Superman, SFNE. Come on, folks...this is the best steel coaster in the US, maybe on the planet. Anyone who thinks Millie is best hasn't ridden Supes! Take the best steelie and turn off the lights and you'll need a cigarette and a kleenex after each ride. Its THAT good.
3. Raven, Holiday World. That end run through the woods is hard scary/amazing, especially the luscious/groovy s-bunny near the end.
4. Phoneix, Knoebels. Phoenix is one of those rare beasts that runs well early in the day at park opening and just get better and better as the day progresses.
5. Boulderdash, Lake Compounce. I admit that there are many who don't get this woody and its notorious for less-than-stellar rides in certain conditions. But at night, in the dark, with your sense of sight limited and the sound of trees and boulders whooshing by as the surprise laterals hit you...well that's just pure bliss.
6. Legend, Holiday World [pre waterpark expansion]. In the first two years Legend was open, before Zinga and Zoombabwe opened, the out portion of the coaster was seemingly out in the middle of nowhere, with not a light to be found. Sure, the slides do add a new headchopper effect and the ride is still top-notch but "back in the day" that swoop drop and double up in the pitch black was jawdropping.
7. Ghostrider, Knotts Berry Farm. One of the most aggressive wooden coasters out there [AGRESSIVE...not ROUGH..there is a difference, people!] with an ending sequence that is hard to beat. There is a reason that an hour into a 2-hour ERT session 75% of the riders have had enough. LOL!
8. Giant Dipper, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The dark tunnel, the smell of grease, the seaside setting...hard to beat!
9. Cornball Express, Indiana Beach. How so much airtime and laterals can be squeezed into a coaster that small still baffles me.
10. Blue Streak, Conneaut Lake Park. The entire "out" portion is set away from the midway and is shrouded in pitch-black darkness. Those first three deep dips, especially in the refurbished Vettle trains, feel twice as long without sight references.
And to those who have read this and are wondering "But hey, why isn't Beast in your top 10?" I've ridden Beast at night, in the dark, numerous times. Its good...but these are WAY better.
The Great White at Sea World. The turn off the station lights so the back half feels so cool in pitch black darkness. The Steel Eel. That is so much fun in the dark. You can't see a thing because of where you are. I also like Poltergeist in the night because it is away from the park and you can see everything and it looks very cool.