CoasterBuzz Podcast #169 posted
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:00 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Carrie and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- CoasterBuzz turns ten years old. If CoasterBuzz were a kid, it would be in grade five.
- The track record is now free for all users. Have you made yours?
- Gonch got his start around CoasterBuzz as the Rollercoaster Tycoon guy. (He won a pinball machine.)
- Cedar Fair sale drama reaches a fever pitch as someone called Q Investments collects 12% of the company, and they plan to vote no on the sale to Apollo. What's their exit strategy?
- Wild West World fraud trial continues. Etheredge isn't the only one to blame... the people lending him money were clearly morons as well.
- Kalahari scores a tax-free bond issue in Virginia, to build only their third location. Slow and measured expansion compared to Great Wolf.
- Zamperla will run the amusement rides at Coney Island. Our international members let us know that they do this elsewhere.
- Cypress Gardens will be Legoland Florida. Someone pointed out the Lego brand will probably encourage people to get out there.
- Jeff scored the Lego carousel, and it's completely awesome. There are a lot of enormous sets that are very cool, and clearly not intended for children.
- Busch Tampa's Sesame Street area is coming along.
- Demon Drop is going to Dorney now instead of Knott's. The bigger question is, why are they bothering to move it at all?
- Schlitterbahn is opening a new water park resort with mix-use stuff around it near Austin.
- Kennywood is experimenting with season passes.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast