Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:00 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Carrie and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- CoasterBuzz turns ten years old. If CoasterBuzz were a kid, it would be in grade five.
- The track record is now free for all users. Have you made yours?
- Gonch got his start around CoasterBuzz as the Rollercoaster Tycoon guy. (He won a pinball machine.)
- Cedar Fair sale drama reaches a fever pitch as someone called Q Investments collects 12% of the company, and they plan to vote no on the sale to Apollo. What's their exit strategy?
- Wild West World fraud trial continues. Etheredge isn't the only one to blame... the people lending him money were clearly morons as well.
- Kalahari scores a tax-free bond issue in Virginia, to build only their third location. Slow and measured expansion compared to Great Wolf.
- Zamperla will run the amusement rides at Coney Island. Our international members let us know that they do this elsewhere.
- Cypress Gardens will be Legoland Florida. Someone pointed out the Lego brand will probably encourage people to get out there.
- Jeff scored the Lego carousel, and it's completely awesome. There are a lot of enormous sets that are very cool, and clearly not intended for children.
- Busch Tampa's Sesame Street area is coming along.
- Demon Drop is going to Dorney now instead of Knott's. The bigger question is, why are they bothering to move it at all?
- Schlitterbahn is opening a new water park resort with mix-use stuff around it near Austin.
- Kennywood is experimenting with season passes.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Friday, February 5, 2010 11:30 AM
Jeff-head to Lego's web site. The Toy Story sets are awesome! And good luck with the carousel!
Friday, February 5, 2010 12:27 PM
The Toy Story stuff isn't as cool as I would expect, though the mini-fig army guys are pretty cool.
I finished the carousel shortly after we finished recording... I just need to get some photos and video up.
Friday, February 5, 2010 2:24 PM
M$ keeping you busy eh Jeff? ;)
Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:45 PM
Now that I have finally listened to the podcast (this one and #168)...
I still have not read *all* of the Cedar Fair preliminary proxy document. I read the narrative and that was about it. I don't actually have *that much* free time on my hands. :)
--Dave Althoff, Jr.