CoasterBuzz Podcast #166 posted
Posted Monday, December 21, 2009 1:20 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Carrie, Mike and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Cedar Fair sale is pending to Apollo, a private equity firm. Does it mean anything to the average customer? Is the foregone conclusion that the business is capital intensive something that will be challenged? Gonch asks why you have to build something every year to return to a place you already like.
- Jeff thinks the talent bleed from the acquired Paramount Parks was one of the core issues with the company, not to mention a "what would Cedar Point do" attitude toward managing the various parks.
- Micromanagement and a lack of trust in underlings certainly led to problems. The arrogance that Cedar Fair could realize cost savings was a huge part of their failure.
- Sale is contingent on unit holder approval. Hard to say how that will go, as a relatively small percentage belongs to institutions.
- Comcast acquisition of NBC Universal rolls on. Lots of regulatory agencies will watch this one.
- Universal Orlando starts to ramp up marketing for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- Cedar Fair sues Santa Clara over 49ers deal, just to protect their interests. They're still talking.
- Disney is going to back off on discounts at Disney World. Have we turned a corner in the economy?
- Tivoli chasing wind power. Weird that more parks don't do this. Carrie says it's because wind blows.
- Roy E. Disney dies, was credited with maintaining the soul of the company. What's up with the direct to DVD movies though?
- Candlelight Processional is a big deal and a tradition at Epcot with celebrity readers.
- Additional thoughts on the goings on at Disney World during the holidays, including how they measure wait times.
- Off-topic: perks at work, free beverages, discounts and bus lines. More nonsense on Jeff's personal blog.
- New events posted to the list for 2010 on the club page. Check them out!
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast