CoasterBuzz Podcast #149 posted
Posted Monday, July 27, 2009 8:14 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Mike and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Wild West World's new owner says economy slowing re-development, while former owner goes on trial for taking investors' money. Is being a crappy businessman illegal?
- The "every sponge," SpongeBob Squarepants has been around now for ten years. This brings up the credible rumor that Cedar Fair is going to ditch the Nickelodeon license, which might be stupid for a lot of reasons. It's not just about merchandise, it's about the experience. Replacing with Peanuts won't be the same.
- OSHA jumps in on Dueling Dragons accident.
- The Dells are saying you can't run your amusement park late. Owner points out that's pretty stupid, seeing as how bars can be open late and, uh, it's Wisconsin Dells. What else is there to do?
- Give Kids The World Village hits volunteer hour milestone. CoasterBuzz would appreciate your donation to this awesome charity.
- Schlitterbahn opens new water park in Kansas City.
- No proposal for Coney Island will ever make everyone happy.
- Legoland California attendance way up with new aquarium, and people are spending more to see it all. Aquariums are cool. Check out the one in Baltimore's Inner Harbor if you ever get a chance.
- Is the capital intensive nature of the industry something it did to itself? How is it that Orlando can get away with so much less?
- Cedar Fair has a Ride Warrior site now, and we're wondering what the point is. Meanwhile, the marketing across the company is very one-size-fits-all, an odd symptom of corporate mentality in all aspects of operating the parks. The Cedar Point template for running a park is backward, since it's probably the exception to the rules.
- A rise in child molestation at water parks, a faux bomb scare in Cedar Point's parking lot, worker falls from BGT sky ride, Sky Ride station at Alton Towers burns, Six Flags says guest satisfaction is up... what's the world coming to?
- Disney World manages to keep butts in the hotel rooms, and word on the street is that some of the discount deals may persist into December.
- Discounted food and merchandise is a great perk for season pass holders, so why doesn't Cedar Fair do it? As it is, passholders can be a drain if they visit frequently and don't spend any money.
- Big Bad Wolf won't be bad much longer, as Busch Williamsburg announces its retirement.
- Finance blog gives an honest assessment of the Six Flags premium queuing system.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
- BooBuzz 2009 details posted for Cedar Point!
- The Fall Affair at Holiday World promises to be a big deal. Register today! Gonch will be there if others show up.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast