Why doesn't SFGAm repaint their rides?

Thursday, January 2, 2003 8:37 AM

spacemountain, He's looking at attendance numbers. However, I agree that Six Flags is probably looking at ways to cut costs because the economy isn't exactly hopping the way it was a few years ago.

Repainting is expensive, and you guys continue to get new coasters every other year. What would you rather have? New coasters that run really well in a crowded park with older coasters that need paint jobs? Or the same coasters year in year out with a less crowded park and new paint jobs on exsisting coasters?

-----------------
0-60mph+ in 2.5

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 10:21 AM
Actions speak alot louder than words and by seeing how SF operates there parks on a daily basis where rides arent kept up properly, the parks are dirty,rides not working till mid-day and more concern is shown about selling their version of fastpass than having a ride operate to its capacity shows where the priorities lie, escpcially when compared to how other theme parks companies run their parks.Not painting rides on a timely basis is just another example of how they let their parks become run down and why their attendance slips, why people flee the park to eat elsewhere and why few people are seen leaving the park with store bought items. The appearance of the park is seen by all guests, be it dirt on the ground/not properly painted rides/security not properly controlling foul mouthed guests and it all adds up to the public's opinion of the parks. And why in any objective poll SF parks rank behind their competitors. They have some great roller coasters but fail in the other aspects that make a theme park a special place to be. And this all impacts the bottom line and why the company is unlikely to get out of the debt problems they have and increase their revenue.

*** This post was edited by Bob O on 1/2/2003. ***

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 11:12 AM
Very true Bob O. But then again, it's their choice, so why waste your time rehashing it time and time again? They have the right to run their business as they choose, and set their own priorities.

-----------------
Superman:The Escape(1997-2002) May he one day fly again.

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 11:29 AM
People come on. Parks need to keep there parks looking fresh for there guests. Whoever says cedar point keeps there rides painted (yeah right) for one thing i live an hour away from ceadr point and six flags they are both very dirty most of the time. Almost all of sixflags parks are not kept that clean and most of the rides have needed new paint for 3 years. If were going for the freshest painted rides busch gardens in williamsburg has a new coat of paint put on there coasters every 3 years. One more thing if you think cedar point's rides are nice and painted look the wild cat before it got painted this year it looked like a real piece of you know what. Parks need to learn the cleaner the park the happier coaster freaks are.

-----------------
What will happen to bgw in the future no one knows. But all I know is something big is comming in the furture.

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 2:34 PM
But the thing is "coaster freaks" are probably less then 10% of a parks guests. I'm pretty sure they will makes sure the other 90% is happy before they choose the 10%. I highly doubt a normal park visitor is going to really care how the paint looks on a ride, I know all of my non-coaster freak friends don't.

*** This post was edited by MF#1RB#2BVL on 1/2/2003. ***

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 3:22 PM
So you're trying to say that the General Public doesn't care at ALL what the park looks like? Thats 100% not true.
+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 3:45 PM

MF#1RB#2BVL said:
But the thing is "coaster freaks" are probably less then 10% of a parks guests. I'm pretty sure they will makes sure the other 90% is happy before they choose the 10%. I highly doubt a normal park visitor is going to really care how the paint looks on a ride, I know all of my non-coaster freak friends don't.

*** This post was edited by MF#1RB#2BVL on 1/2/2003. ***



WAY less than 10%, just telling you.

-----------------
Don't Fight It, Ride It, RAGING BULL!!!!!!- SFGAm

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 4:30 PM

Speedy, don't put words in anyone's mouth. If the public cared so much how their local park looks, they wouldn't throw trash on the ground and in the queue lines like they do. They also wouldn't "tag" queue lines and bathrooms and scrach things on the back of the seats on the coaster trains. We ALL have a responsibility to keep public places clean if that's what we want, not just the parks.

It's real easy to call a park dirty while you do your part to make sure it stays that way...

-----------------
Superman:The Escape(1997-2002) May he one day fly again.

*** This post was edited by DWeaver on 1/2/2003. ***

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 5:21 PM
They did paint the Columbia Carousel which looks pretty good right now if you ask me.

-----------------
2 superheroes in Gurnee next season? Oh the humanity. :)

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 5:40 PM

MagnumForce said:

Its not as if the rust is a problem, on the contrary it actually protects the steel.

Um...I'm no expert on much of anything, but isn't rust what causes the ugly brown holes in parts of cars?

-----------------
"The moose says you're closed, I say you're open!" - Clark W. Griswold
Proud member of the Walley World Park Security


+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 6:50 PM

That is a completely different type of rust and a completely different type of steel.

The running gear on railroad cars and locomotives are not painted for the very same reason as well as making it easy to detect cracks.

-----------------
Coming in 2003-The Spawn Of Magnum!

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 7:03 PM
Yes Chitown, Columbia does look good with that new scheme.

-----------------
"We don't sit on your dining room table, so please don't sit on our silver handrails"

+0
Thursday, January 2, 2003 8:16 PM
Of course SF has a right to set their priorities, just as we have a right to question them. If people let the parks know we will settle for substandard park conditions then thats what we will get.Its never a waste of time holding a business to a set of standards that can be reached.
And how the parks look and are maintained is very important to the general public. I think the enthusiast community is alot more willing to overlook a parks flaws than the general public is. I know from family and friends that after a visit to my local SF park they compare it to other parks they have been to(usually those in FLA)and they complain of the park not being clean/unruly guests etc and how it will be years before they go back. But they will spend the money and go to FLA where they find the experience much more enjoyable. So be it rides not mantained/parks dirty/unruly guests that all affects people's impression of how they view the park and how often they return.
+0
Friday, January 3, 2003 9:52 AM
DWeaver: I have an off-topic question: What happened to Superman: The Escape (as stated in you sig)?

-----------------
-Rob

+0
Friday, January 3, 2003 10:18 AM
Maybe he is referring to S:TE no longer being the tallest ride.

-----------------
Rob


"Some people spend an entire LIFETIME wondering if they made a DIFFERENCE. The MARINES don't have that problem." -President Reagan 1985

+0
Friday, January 3, 2003 10:46 AM
Sort of reminds me of the KECO parks in the late 80's. Carowinds was in very poor condition, peeling paint and what was repainted was painted awful dingy colors that they must have got a discount on the paint for. The park looked shabby, and it was not a very nice place to be.
+0
Friday, January 3, 2003 10:58 AM
ALF, I kinda doubt that, just because of the "May he one day fly again" part. Makes me think it's referring to the decrease in power as of late...just a guess.

-----------------
Very good well-being lark this...Absolut*ly Reliable

+0
Friday, January 3, 2003 12:03 PM
I dont know what others think but when i went to SFMM i was really looking forward to STE. But the ride was very disappointing and was down right boring!!! It had no wait but 2 times was enough. Escpecially compared to Xcelarator which in comparsion had a great launch!!!
+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2019, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...