Holiday World attendance up 10% over last year

Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:35 PM | Contributed by Jeff

This summer’s heat wave has meant sizzling business for Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari whose water park, one of the five largest in the world, has been crowded. The park’s overall attendance is running more than 10 percent ahead of last year’s record pace of 1,039,000 customers, according to park general manager Matt Eckert.

Read more from The Courier & Press.

Related parks

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:17 PM
mlnem4s's avatar

Congrats Holiday World team!

One thing I have to comment on after seeing people post comments to the article.....why do Americans insist on being so friggin NEGATIVE?!?! Bitch and moan, bitch and moan...."the lines are too long," "there is too much traffic," "the guests are hillbillys and rude," "the company is trying to make too much profit (wtf?!),"....blah blah blah. These people need SMACKED! I know a lot of Northeast Ohio would give ANYTHING to have the summer tourists back in Aurora. These parks bring in money that filters throughout the entire local economy creating JOBS that are desperately needed now more than ever in this country.

Americans have become completely self-defeating. When will the stupidity ever end?!?

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:19 PM
Tekwardo's avatar

the lines are too long

I can tell you what I think Holiday World's next addition should be


cebeavers.tumblr.com

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:28 PM
Lord Gonchar's avatar

Complaints on lines, traffic and prices?

Seems like as HW grows they're running into all the 'big park' complaints.

Surprise?


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:47 PM

Those are some mighty hostile comments. But, HW is growing, and this is the outcome.

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:53 PM
rollergator's avatar

^^Based on a recent TR, GAdv has some sort of VQ implementation at Hurricane Harbor.


You still have Zoidberg.... You ALL have Zoidberg! (V) (;,,;) (V)

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:11 PM
Jeff's avatar

People are idiots. I don't know how a park can smile and take stupid feedback like that. What do these people propose the park does about lines when they're running as efficiently as they can? They've been doing the one thing that has the greatest impact: Building more rides.


Jeff - Webmaster/Editor - CoasterBuzz.com - My Blog - Twitter - Video

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:35 PM

I was just there last Friday and can attest to the 10% growth. It felt like the water park was at capacity. We enjoyed our selves and got to ride nearly all the rides we wanted to ride. The only real downside was that they closed the ride's queues off an hour before the park closed (I didn't get my legend ride in, next time). The other down side is my state has fallen behind in building an Infrastructure to support the park.

Though, we need to start calling it what it really is. A water park with dry rides.

I'm optimistic about how this park is growing, the question is can they keep up with how fast it is growing.

Time will tell all...

My Photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=69396&id=1068611528&l=e38b73758c

Last edited by Diamondback09, Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:35 PM

Andrew Jones of AWJ Photography.

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:51 PM

Lord Gonchar said:
Complaints on lines, traffic and prices?

Seems like as HW grows they're running into all the 'big park' complaints.

Surprise?

Even with that growth, I think they do a fanastic job in keeping the lines reasonable. Most of the long lines this year was at Splashing Safari in particular with Wildeebeast. That's to be expected with a new ride and those lines will come down over time, particulary if they open a couple more big water rides/slides.

Will would have been proud to see his best attended season ever.


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:54 PM

Diamondback09 said:
I was just there last Friday and can attest to the 10% growth. It felt like the water park was at capacity. We enjoyed our selves and got to ride nearly all the rides we wanted to ride. The only real downside was that they closed the ride's queues off an hour before the park closed (I didn't get my legend ride in, next time). The other down side is my state has fallen behind in building an Infrastructure to support the park.

Though, we need to start calling it what it really is. A water park with dry rides.

I'm optimistic about how this park is growing, the question is can they keep up with how fast it is growing.

Time will tell all...

My Photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=69396&id=1068611528&l=e38b73758c

Good pictures man. It's almost like Splashing Safari has become more of a Schlitterbaun type of park with the dry rides as well. With all of the land that they have available to them, I look for them to really grow Splashing Safari. Wouldn't be surprised to see their coasters continue to border or more of them actually go through part of Splashing Safari. Makes for good near misses and headchoppers.


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:55 PM

Jeff said:
People are idiots. I don't know how a park can smile and take stupid feedback like that. What do these people propose the park does about lines when they're running as efficiently as they can? They've been doing the one thing that has the greatest impact: Building more rides.

Exactly Jeff. The public is far too negative and always looks for reasons to complain. If they don't like it, they don't have to go.


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:10 PM
Lord Gonchar's avatar

Michael W. Moss said:

Even with that growth, I think they do a fanastic job in keeping the lines reasonable.

I'm sure they do, I think most parks do.

My point is that it's the nature of the beast - growth attracts crowds. Crowds mean lines and traffic. Growth means expenses. Expenses means higher costs for customers.

HW is reaching the point where they're leaving the 'small park' stage behind. Welcome to the crap the big parks have always caught - deserved or not.

It's hard to be the darling when you grow up.


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:27 PM

Lord Gonchar said:

Michael W. Moss said:

Even with that growth, I think they do a fanastic job in keeping the lines reasonable.

I'm sure they do, I think most parks do.

My point is that it's the nature of the beast - growth attracts crowds. Crowds mean lines and traffic. Growth means expenses. Expenses means higher costs for customers.

HW is reaching the point where they're leaving the 'small park' stage behind. Welcome to the crap the big parks have always caught - deserved or not.

It's hard to be the darling when you grow up.

Wonder if Holiday World even with the loss of Will Koch might be the "White Horse" if you will in setting a new trend even for the bigger parks. I could just be dreaming but if one place can pull that kind of a feat off, it's Holiday World.

My only fear is that one day, the Koch family that's left will not want to keep running the park and it will get sold off to one of those big park chains that will likely ruin the place :(


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:32 PM

I've been to HW when I had not much fun. One train on Raven and Legend (No Voyage then) Skinny paths. The park always seen where the problems were and addressed them. I see now as no different. A five slide tube tower and a TGG Jr. Woodie would be my plan for next year :)

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:33 PM
Carrie M.'s avatar

Michael W. Moss said:

My only fear is that one day, the Koch family that's left will not want to keep running the park and it will get sold off to one of those big park chains that will likely ruin the place :(

Yeah, they might ruin it by causing it to have long lines, too much traffic, and pricing concerns. Bastards! ;)

Last edited by Carrie M., Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:36 PM

"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins." --- Benjamin Franklin

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:58 PM
Tekwardo's avatar

I doubt we'll see a Holiday World run by someone else for a long time. As far as being the 'White Horse', I think Gonch's post proves that that isn't what's happening. Holiday World is a park that enthusiasts generally love, and the GP are complaining about Long Lines, Traffic, etc. Just like they do at any SF and CF park with as many visitors.


cebeavers.tumblr.com

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:59 PM

Charles Nungester said:
I've been to HW when I had not much fun. One train on Raven and Legend (No Voyage then) Skinny paths. The park always seen where the problems were and addressed them. I see now as no different. A five slide tube tower and a TGG Jr. Woodie would be my plan for next year :)

Yeah I have no doubt at this stage in their history that they wouldn't take care of the issues the patrons tell them. They have had an excellent track record in taking care of issues like that.


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:00 PM

Tekwardo said:
I doubt we'll see a Holiday World run by someone else for a long time. As far as being the 'White Horse', I think Gonch's post proves that that isn't what's happening. Holiday World is a park that enthusiasts generally love, and the GP are complaining about Long Lines, Traffic, etc. Just like they do at any SF and CF park with as many visitors.

Yeah point taken and agreed. I probably do have way too much confidence in the park. Can't help it I guess it's my all time favorite park lol


+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:02 PM
Tekwardo's avatar

Well, but the point Gonch made wasn't that the park isn't or can't be up to the challenge, more so that often parks get a bad rep for having long lines and traffic even when the park can't really help it.


cebeavers.tumblr.com

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

+0
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:12 PM
Mamoosh's avatar

Hey Clint...maybe you can reply to Gator here too? :)

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...