CoasterBuzz Podcast #208 posted

Posted Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:33 PM | Contributed by Jeff

Jeff, Carrie, Mike and Gonch review this week's news in the amusement industry.

• Coasting For Kids at the Cedar Fair parks was a big success! We raised more than $62,000 this year.
  • Ouimet says all the right things, and Gonch is in "like" during this dating phase.
  • Jeff gives Windseeker a big thumbs up, really enjoyed the ride.
  • Ed Markey ups rhetoric as family of Darien Lake accident victim mourns. When will this guy go away?
  • Lawsuit delivered to Darien Lake over the fatality, not surprisingly.
  • Harry Potter bonus hours offered to people who see the midnight showing of the final film at Universal Orlando. Excellent marketing effort!
  • LA Times writer visits Kennywood, one of our favorites.
  • California Adventure rehab continues, the entrance is done. Mike was there last weekend, says there are a lot of workarounds to get to stuff. Little Mermaid is his favorite ride.
  • Geauga Lake Big Dipper: Yes, there are still interested parties.
  • Mother claims discrimination against her daughter with Down Syndrome at Dorney, who was prohibited riding.
  • Couple gets stuck on a slingshot ride in Dallas. Jeff wouldn't ride it. Mike wouldn't because he's cheap.
  • Bad Illinois cop gets busted at Michigan's Adventure for being a drunk idiot.
  • Six Flags posts excellent gains. So where is the bad economy? Carrie hit Six Flags America and Great Adventure.
  • "Marriage is so gay" shirt causes great controversy at Dollywood.
  • You can still donate to the Coasting For Kids 2011 effort! Help us raise money for Give Kids The World. Donate today!
  • The Fall Affair at Holiday World will be September 17, 2011. Also, BooBuzz is Friday, October 7. Get the details!
  • You can get the latest headlines on CoasterBuzz from the Twitter. Follow us @coasterbuzz. You can also like us on Facebook.
  • CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.

Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:29 PM

Thanks for making my morning with some fun informative debauchery!

+0
Monday, August 1, 2011 10:50 PM

The show notes definitely don't capture how much fun we were having on this one.

+0
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:03 AM

Go figure -- I get married and STOP going to parks.

+0
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:38 PM

It's just fun having someone to go with who enjoys the parks at the same pace and in the same ways I do, Greg. :)

I think the sound issues are getting cumbersome with the podcast. I wasn't even on the call for much of the beginning comments about Coasting for Kids. I was dropped and then came back just as Jeff was finishing his comments. That can make for some awkward transitions. :)

+0
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:53 PM

I should probably watch the chat window more closely, but when the laptop turns off its screen, I totally forget. It's strange that you didn't hear anything.

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:06 PM

The call dropped me a for a moment or two right then as well, but it reconnected quickly and nary a beat was missed.

After that it didn't drop at all.

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:57 PM

Aside from the brief drop, I have been having sound issues for the past few shows. I am losing chunks of what's being said. I think the issue may be in my internet connection, but it's very challenging.

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:30 PM

As long as it isn't black-outs from drinking. :-)

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:36 PM

Maybe you need to do an old fashioned tape sync... :)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
(who, much to his surprise, actually *did* a tape-sync last week...)

Edit: Damn you auto correct. This keeps up I'm gonna have to stop using the iPad to post!

Last edited by RideMan, Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:55 PM
+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:43 PM

What is this, 1993? Should we A/B roll edit our video too? :)

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:52 PM

What's this? You have video on your podcast? And here I've been missing out all this time...

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:04 PM

Well, the term 'tape sync' is a bit of an anachronism. But when I was trying to book studio time last week, I actually offered to record on my computer "even though tape syncs are so 1993". Then we went into the studio, where we had ISDN available...and did a tape sync. :)

Ensign, there have been podcasts with video. But mostly Jeff is ribbing me because he knows that (like him) I learned to edit video using video cassettes and a deck controller. Today that's such a lost art that you can't even find the equipment for it anymore!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:08 PM

Video killed the radio star.

Apologies... ;)

+0
Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:13 PM

Computers killed tape. Thank God.

+0
Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:50 AM

When I get a chance I'll have to rifle through the archives and look for podcasts with video. That ought to be a hoot.

+0
Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:06 AM

There's only one that I remember. Very early on (sitting at Lighthouse Point?) at the end of Cedar Point's season.

+0
Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:43 PM

A portion of one of our earliest shows, at Holiday World, with Will, was also recorded with video.

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC