Canceling trip to HW this world summer

Friday, March 27, 2015 12:32 PM

Plus everyone who says just go to the next shop, has never had to "go to the next shop".

It's almost always said by white males (most often Protestant) who have never faced discrimination in their life. That's not a slam at anyone here, it's just that people who say that phrase have never experienced the joy of having a service denied to them just because they were who they are (black, Jewish, muslim, Mexican, gay, whatever).

if you open a business you have to serve everybody. That's what this country is supposed to be about. Do you remember the howls on Fox news when the (Mostly Somali immigrant) cab drivers at the Minneapolis airport wouldn't accept fares if the travelers were carrying alcohol (duty free purchases). Oh my god, the horror, the outrage.

However, now it's legally ok for a barber to refuse to cut your hair if he thinks you're gay? And really, that's the ONLY class that this law affects, as most all other classes are protected by federal law (race, gender, creed, ethnicity). Well, that and sluts. Sluts shouldn't be allowed to buy birth control. or other legal medical services. Because jeesus.

Last edited by CreditWh0re, Friday, March 27, 2015 12:37 PM
+3Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 12:40 PM

CreditWh0re said:

Plus everyone who says just go to the next shop, has never had to "go to the next shop".

It's almost always said by white males (most often Protestant) who have never faced discrimination in their life. That's not a slam at anyone here, it's just that people who say that phrase have never experienced the joy of having a service denied to them just because they were who they are (black, Jewish, muslim, Mexican, gay, whatever)

Really?! Wow...just wow...

Ummm I have been to numerous places that refuse to serve me because of my kids.

And you know what, we went down the road.

You are backwards thinking. Just because you are open for business doesn't mean you HAVE to serve everybody. You are there to make money. If that involves protecting your image, than that is your choice for your business.

Cedar Point has a dress code. We have to abide by that?

What it the World would one being doing at a Holiday World campground that shows the others your are gay...how about we all just act like normal human beings and enjoy a campground. I almost guarantee there wouldn't be any issues with that.

Unlike those college students who destroyed a resort last month, and set a bad example for all college kids.

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 12:44 PM

RollerCoasterGod said:

Cedar Point has a dress code. We have to abide by that?

Did you just compare a T-shirt to race/sexual orientation?


Brandon | Facebook

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 12:44 PM

RollerCoasterGod said:

Ummm I have been to numerous places that refuse to serve me because of my kids.

And you know what, we went down the road.

You are backwards thinking. Just because you are open for business doesn't mean you HAVE to serve everybody. You are there to make money. If that involves protecting your image, than that is your choice for your business.

Cedar Point has a dress code. We have to abide by that?

What it the World would one being doing at a Holiday World campground that shows the others your are gay...how about we all just act like normal human beings and enjoy a campground. I almost guarantee there wouldn't be any issues with that.



I think you've made my point for me.

+1Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 12:51 PM

RollerCoasterGod said:

What it the World would one being doing at a Holiday World campground that shows the others your are gay...how about we all just act like normal human beings and enjoy a campground. I almost guarantee there wouldn't be any issues with that.

First of all, the implication here that gay doesn't equal normal is insulting to any reasonable person, regardless of orientation or beliefs.

Secondly, the law doesn't say that you have to be proven gay to be denied service based on it. Anyone, like you, who believes that gay people are somehow different than everyone can say "I believe s/he's gay" and are then allowed to refuse service.

The truth doesn't matter when it comes to laws based on religion.

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 12:52 PM
Fafolguy's avatar

What it the World would one being doing at a Holiday World campground that shows the others your are gay...how about we all just act like normal human beings and enjoy a campground. I almost guarantee there wouldn't be any issues with that

How about my best friend holding his husband's hand? Or a chaste peck on the lips? Or a million other things you feel free to do with your wife in public with no problem?

Last edited by Fafolguy, Friday, March 27, 2015 12:52 PM
I sing sometimes for the war that I fight, 'cause every tool is a weapon, if you hold it right. -Ani Difranco
+1Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:03 PM

People think a business owes them their service. They don't...well, unless it's the Government ;-)

If one wants to feel oppressed because of a store, campground, establishment, etc...

Then go start your own place up and put your own rules in place. If we like it, then we will come and spend $$. If enough people like it, and you like enough people then you will make $ If not, then you will go out of business, and others will thrive.

That's the great thing about America.

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:03 PM
Pagoda Gift Shop's avatar

New blog post: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2015/03/27/values-much-free-soft-drinks/

+3Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:09 PM

djDaemon said:

RollerCoasterGod said:

Cedar Point has a dress code. We have to abide by that?

Did you just compare a T-shirt to race/sexual orientation?

Yes. But we all know it's a lot more than a T-shirt that you can act, do, and not do there.

The case being is. Cedar Point has their say in who can do and not do what as well. If they make they right calls they will thrive by catering to many walks of life.

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:17 PM
Jeff's avatar

CreditWh0re said:
What I can't countenance, is the thought that if I should somehow get injured while at Holiday world, the county EMT who comes to help my ass, might just leave me on the ground because he thinks I'm gay. Read that again, THINKS I'm gay. That's all he/she needs to step back, while I'm bleeding to death.

This is the single most ridiculous strawman argument I've seen here in a long time. Seriously. You think that's a bona fide risk based on the passage of this law?


Jeff - Editor - CoasterBuzz.com - My Blog - Music: The Modern Gen-X - Video

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:19 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-would-let-michigan-doctors-emts-re...-patients/

It's a valid concern.

Last edited by GDdashROM, Friday, March 27, 2015 1:19 PM
+3Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:41 PM

RollBackDog said:

Unfortunately, it's 100% appropriate to boycott Holiday World. Remember even if HW does not support the law there is no guarantee that hotels, restaurants, or any other businesses in the area will not refuse service to American citizens. It's a horrible law that has left great businesses like Holiday World in a horrible position. #boycottIndiana

It is definitely 100% appropriate to boycott all Indiana businesses. If the businesses feel the effect, they will push back on the government about this law. Unfortunately, businesses have move push in government than we the people do these days.

Boycotting Indiana also hits the state directly where it hurts.....less tax dollars.

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:45 PM

GDdashROM said:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-would-let-michigan-doctors-emts-re...-patients/

It's a valid concern.

Right there would be hypocrisy at its highest form. I can't help you because I am a "Christian," so I will just let you suffer like a good "Christian" should.....

+1Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:55 PM

Jeff said:

This is the single most ridiculous strawman argument I've seen here in a long time. Seriously. You think that's a bona fide risk based on the passage of this law?

It's not a strawman Jeff. I'm sorry that you think it is.

+2Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 1:55 PM
Lord Gonchar's avatar

CreditWh0re said:

Plus everyone who says just go to the next shop, has never had to "go to the next shop".

It's almost always said by white males (most often Protestant) who have never faced discrimination in their life. That's not a slam at anyone here, it's just that people who say that phrase have never experienced the joy of having a service denied to them just because they were who they are (black, Jewish, muslim, Mexican, gay, whatever).

Seriously?

Apparently empathy doesn't exist in your world.

Here's a less offensive and more reasonable line of logic - the people saying that would/will (as the case may be) handle the situation differently than you.

In fact, the first one to suggest it is exactly the demo this law has the potential to affect.

The second (myself) am not indeed gay, but I'd certainly put my money where my mouth is and not frequent the offending businesses in support of equality. I would not expect that business to change so that I could shop there.

It's not even as close to as simple as "It's not affecting me, too bad for you." And it's pretty telling that that's the first line of logic you run to.

Last edited by Lord Gonchar, Friday, March 27, 2015 1:56 PM
+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 2:11 PM
slithernoggin's avatar

#BoycottIndiana is trending strong on Twitter.

Not gonna lie, always enjoy Mrs Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian.


Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep.
--Fran Lebowitz

+0
Friday, March 27, 2015 2:28 PM
matt.'s avatar

Pagoda Gift Shop said:

New blog post: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2015/03/27/values-much-free-soft-drinks/

This is really pretty amazing. Not at all surprised by their response but still really heartwarming to read.

Funny that a park with such an inherently gay theme is located where it is.

+2Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 2:33 PM
Jeff's avatar

Not to mention that it's a family owned business that has been more than generous to the enthusiast community for almost two decades, and I don't have to tell you about the sexual orientation demographics of this group. Trying to punish them to affect change is absurd. Even if they did have the influence, it would take years.


Jeff - Editor - CoasterBuzz.com - My Blog - Music: The Modern Gen-X - Video

+1Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 2:35 PM

Lord Gonchar said:
Seriously?

Apparently empathy doesn't exist in your world.

Here's a less offensive and more reasonable line of logic - the people saying that would/will (as the case may be) handle the situation differently than you.

In fact, the first one to suggest it is exactly the demo this law has the potential to affect.

The second (myself) am not indeed gay, but I'd certainly put my money where my mouth is and not frequent the offending businesses in support of equality. I would not expect that business to change so that I could shop there.

It's not even as close to as simple as "It's not affecting me, too bad for you." And it's pretty telling that that's the first line of logic you run to.

Gonch,

I should have used the word "oftentimes, people who say" instead of "everyone". Damn absolutes get me every time (an absolute again, but that one is true). You have a good take on this, and I agree that eventually the market will force out the bad actors. Yelp reviews, and FB will quickly spread word of which providers are discriminating and the natural results will follow.

My comments were aimed at RCG, who flippantly assumed that gay people must be screwing on the picnic tables to be kicked out of the campground. As if RCG couldn't imagine that they would just be barred from entering the campground because it was two dudes, one tent. You can see the difference in the two arguments. I was focused on those services where one doesn't have the luxury of finding alternative suppliers (health care, hotels/gas stations late at night in the middle of nowhere). Lodging around HW would be a good example. (Not to impugn any of those businesses). There's one hotel and one campground close by, 2-3 maybe 4 miles away, after that it's 20 miles or so (as I remember).

You've always taken a strong stance for equality. That's been evident in my years of reading your posts at CB. I didn't mean for you to think that I thought otherwise.

Last edited by CreditWh0re, Friday, March 27, 2015 2:37 PM
+2Loading
Friday, March 27, 2015 2:39 PM
Lord Gonchar's avatar

Fair enough. I jumped to the defense.


+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2020, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...