Probably not interesting enough to be news, but apparently Bob Chapek's memoir is being released next week. According to the NY Times, Chapek seems to blame Iger for everything bad that happened during his CEO tenure. If anything, it's fun to see the Disney fanboy websites make fun of him, such as WDW News Today's article titled "Bob Chapek Rejects All Responsibility."
NYT Link (gift link)
I don't understand Iger's in-out-in motivations, and maybe he is an egomaniac. But Chapek's claim that he squeezed more out of the parks in a good way is not exactly the way that I'd describe it. His years didn't leave good vibes with the park-going public, and I wonder what the long-term consequence of that might have been if he stayed. The hotel parking fees in particular were absurd. Lightning Lane over Fastpass sucks, but there's clearly no putting that genie (literally) back in the bottle.
Jeff - Editor - CoasterBuzz.com - My Blog
He took over the company at the worst possible time. That should get a pass.
He raised prices a year or two later and that will never be a popular thing to do with any company. But Disney fans have proven time and time again that no price is too high for the Magic.
Not a big fan of these ‘tell all’ behind the scenes books. They just end up as a back and forth name calling type stuff. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle.
I just finished the book, I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't particularly reflective but CEO books really are.
Edit - I should add, in Iger's book, he talks about how irritated he was that the Disney board allowed his predecessor (Eisner) to present to the board cautioning around Iger's planned purchase of Pixar and how it was the only thing that the board ever did to annoy him. A short presentation by your predecessor seems to be a non-event if when you yourself move on, you opt to be the new guy's boss and hold the reigns on some pretty important stuff for two years.
Worth a read. Would also recommend DisneyWar (audiobook that one, it's long). Iger's book ok too. Eisner's autobiography was a bit tough going - he claims to hate it now. There's a great Eisner interview here (in it, he talks about how Iger wasn't ready to leave).
Nothing to see here. Move along.
I read Iger's book, which contextually was different because it was before any of this with Chapek went down. I found his experience with panic attacks interesting. I've had a few myself.
Jeff - Editor - CoasterBuzz.com - My Blog
You must be logged in to post
