CoasterBuzz Podcast #137 posted
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 4:33 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Mike and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Recap of the party on a boat, which Gonch missed. Jeff is happily married now.
- Adventureland suffers from indifferent reviews, and Jeff thinks it was sold completely wrong. Kennywood is more or less just a background for the story.
- Diamondback opens at Kings Island and it is good. Gonch and Jeff take a number of spins and are surprised at the intensity. Listen for a complete review.
- Opening day at Kings Island yields enormous lines for Diamondback, and the public appear to love it.
- CoasterBuzz posts HD video of Diamondback, starring Gonch.
- Hard Rock Park former owners own the IP? Seriously? Does it matter now that they've changed it to the horrible name, Freestyle Music Park?
- Six Flags may be facing bankruptcy, but the management team is looking at potential bonuses for getting them through it. The hate toward anyone making a lot of money ignores the skill required to lead a company.
- Universal Hollywood is getting the Google Maps street view treatment. It's creepy, but incredibly useful.
- Ghost Town bankruptcy causes a chain reaction to small businesses that served it.
- Coney Island drama continues, as NYC makes play to buy some of the property owned by Thor Equities.
- Virginia parks saying things are starting out well. We hate the term "staycation," but are the parks positioned for success in this economy? Gonch thinks so.
- Researchers put out attendance report but Jeff is annoyed that they don't establish credibility or show their methodology. Busch Entertainment says they're about 10% off.
- Universal Orlando is trying to sell itself to consumers like it's a used car dealer, according to surveys they're sending out. Jeff is annoyed that they want to compete on price instead of the awesome experiences they can offer.
- Orlando parks do well over the Easter holiday time. Is this an indication of economic recovery or the heavy discounting?
- Waldameer's Disk-O is going up, and they're pretty cool rides. The stand-up version is kind of weird.
- Jeff and Gonch got to ride Diamondback with the mayor of Cincinnati, and it was entertaining.
- We appreciate your support of CoasterBuzz by joining the club. It's still just $20 per year.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast