CoasterBuzz Podcast #120 posted
Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Mike and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Olympic fever! Gonch loved badminton until the US lost, Jeff is all about the indoor volleyball.
- Moron criminal uses his daughter to scam people for worthless Cedar Point ticket coupons.
- Blackstone allegedly interested in Busch parks.
- Busch Gardens Europe adding a Sesame Street area with solid family attractions.
- Kings Island announces Diamondback, the ride that KI fans have been waiting for. Is there any reason to really keep Son of Beast?
- Asian-American activists offended by Six Flags TV spots. We're not entirely sure how it's offensive. Even PC Jeff doesn't entirely get it, and thought it was emulating a Japanese game show or something.
- Gonch gives his take on the Great Wolf results, believes that the occupancy percentage number is the missing thing in the financials. Is the indoor water park result concept a success so far?
- Six Flags says they're still going to have positive cash flow this year. Gonch says this is indicative of them doing things right.
- Cedar Fair results seem positive enough, but Jeff's concern is that per cap has finally slid a little, and even with a slight boost in attendance, this seems like the inevitable bubble we've been talking about for years.
- Dick Kinzel says "people have to eat" and it's unsettling to a lot of people. The bigger picture issue is a belief that he has lost touch, and doesn't have the experience to manage a company of this size. See errors in the last few years.
- Has the "Wal-Marting" of America caused people to settle for crap? Is poor service the result of consumer complacency? Jeff thinks Chipotle is a case study in high quality with high margin.
- No closing weekend for two-hundred-something a night for cobwebs and burned out lights.
- CoasterBuzz Club events coming up this year: The Fall Affair at Holiday World, and BooBuzz at Cedar Point. Visit the CoasterBuzz Club page for more information.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast