Posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 8:40 AM | Contributed by Chitown
A 2-year-old giraffe named Makonnen died in an overnight fire at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo. A faulty electrical outlet is being blamed.
Read more from The Mercury News.
Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:12 PM
This is so sad. I'm sure his trainers are really having a hard time. In another article it said the first calls to 911 were from passing motorist on the 37, which means it must have been a very visible fire. :(
Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the park (although I plan to go see The Cure in San Fran in early October and may try to hit the park on a free day,) but another report said that the fire was in the back of the park, which is why it wasn't seen by park personnel and was reported by passers-by instead.
Wouldn't you have alarm and sprinkler systems in all the indoor animal areas, though?
Friday, September 7, 2007 2:00 AM
It is literally in the very back of the park, but there are trees between it and the road. If you could see the fire from the 36, it had to be a pretty big fire. I was also wondering why there were no sprinklers or even alarms.
Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:13 PM
This is really sad. I hope they check out everything to make sure this never happens again.Kpjb, The Cure postponed their tour until the spring. Unless you're going to the Download festival...
*** This post was edited by coastern3rd 9/9/2007 3:15:22 PM ***