What type of coaster will Kennywood get in 2001?

Friday, August 4, 2000 5:02 PM
What type of coaster will Kennywood get in 2001? A lot of people are saying a giga coaster but do they really have the room?

KPGuy
+0
Friday, August 4, 2000 5:39 PM
My 2 cents goes to a non-looping steel coaster. And yes, KW has the room for such a coaster. Look for the world's longest drop in West Mifflin next year.

Then again, there are 5 CCI's being built next year. Could KW be adding another ravine running woody to their collection?
-------------
--K
+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 6:43 AM
They have room for a giga, depending on your definition.

If by giga you mean a coaster with a 300' LIFT, then probably not (although with some creativity and permission from the city to go over the road, they could).

If you mean a 300' DROP, then yes, Kennywood has room ;)

-------------
--Greg

http://www.pobox.com/~gregleg/
+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 7:50 AM
Right, look at the small areas that Goliath and BKF fit into.
+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 9:20 AM
I think that Kennywood would get a smaller coaster(under 200 feet). Look at all the other coasters at Kennywood they are all under 150 feet. Just my 2 cents. *** This post was edited by Andrew on 8/5/2000. ***
+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 10:14 AM
Kennywood themselves said that they couldn't compete with Cedar Point in terms of height and speed. If it isn't a giga coaster, I sure hope it's taller than the Steel Phantom. (At least 260 FT)I highly doubt that it will be a small steel coaster, such as a 150 ft one. The Kennywood hasn't made as much money this year and they're calling it below average, which makes me think they will add a giga coaster to attract vistors from all around the country. A small coaster would not attract people as much as a large, giga coaster would. I was at Cedar Point waiting in line for Millenium Force and I met people from California and Oregon while standing in the 2 hour line.

KPGuy
+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 10:20 AM
Actually from what I've heard is that KW is definitely looking to get the record back for world's longest drop.

-------------
--K
+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 7:41 PM
Actually, THIS year's attendance figures probably have NO bearing on the new ride. Major rides are planned out WELL in advance -- Kennywood knew what they were going to be doing well in advance of seeing THIS year's sales figures ;)

-------------
--Greg

+0
Saturday, August 5, 2000 7:50 PM
I seriously doubt the fact that Kennywood's attendance is down this year can be attributed to their lack of a great coaster (they have five great coasters!). This summer has been full of nothing but rain in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area, and even Cedar Point's attendance is down a little bit due to the excessive rain days. If the weather would cooperate, my guess is Kennywood wouldn't be down at all.
+0
Sunday, August 6, 2000 1:50 PM
Heh, speaking of weather, KennyKon ended early due to it ;)

As for "what type of coaster will they be getting", they DID say one thing today. "Steel" ;)

They annouced that they'll announce the new ride at a press conference on Thursday, as had already been reported here. That's ALL they would say.

So we have to wait a few more days still...

-------------
--Greg

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC