What is this inversion?

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:19 PM
I am sure this has come up before, but I could not find it in a search. This is on the Thunderhawk at Geauga Lake. My brother and I have been wondering what this inversion is called. I found it in a photo here at coasterbuzz. Here it is...http://www.coasterbuzz.com/rollercoasterphoto.htm?i=2964
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:24 PM
It's called going upside down.
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:26 PM
A "Rollover" I believe.
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:45 PM
A sidewinder.
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:56 PM
A sidewinder is the third inversion on the ride. A roll over is the first two.

A sidewinder starts like a traditional loop the does like a half corkscrew element out to either the left or right side. *** Edited 3/11/2005 9:57:45 PM UTC by Corkscrewy***

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:56 PM
I've heard it called the "Heart-Shaped Rollover." As far as I know, they are only found on the Vekoma SLC.
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:59 PM
Its also called a Loopscrew. Well thats Schwarzkopf's definition. ;) *** Edited 3/11/2005 9:59:51 PM UTC by Corkscrewy***
Friday, March 11, 2005 5:03 PM
RCDB says the inversions on Thunderhawk are:

Roll Over
Double In-Line Twist

So assuming Duane is as accurate as he's always been, I'd say it's generally referred to as a Roll Over.

Friday, March 11, 2005 5:05 PM
According to the ride manual provided by Vekoma, they identify that portion of the course as, you guessed it, the "Roll Over".
Friday, March 11, 2005 5:50 PM
I thought it was called a "serpent roll", but I guess that's just a B&M term.


This sight also mentions that Vekoma terms it as a "Roll Over"

Friday, March 11, 2005 6:42 PM
The double inversion on Medusa West is called a Sea serpent and feels quite a bit different from the rollover found on SLC's.

The rollover can also be found on X-Car coasters, though it's taken in a very different fashion.

Friday, March 11, 2005 6:53 PM
This was a good question. I never knew what it was called and now I do.

I feel like my post was so random. I haven't been on C-buzz in years. Its good to be back!

Friday, March 11, 2005 8:38 PM
Yeah, I was just gonna chime in and say wasn't that inversion dubbed the sea serpent ala B+M's Medusa (west coast).
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:14 PM
and all this time I thought it was a "Split Loop"
Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:33 AM
Having riden it several times, I'd call it the 'Painful Loop Thing' element.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

Millrace, I'm not sure exactly what you thought I was asking, but I was asking the name of an inversion, not what is an inversion.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:06 PM
A Sea Serpent and Roll Over are pretty different.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:58 PM
I always called it the "shaped like a heart/butt in the air" inversion. Really. ;)
Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:33 PM
I always called it the heart shaped thing. Leave it to Rob to invoke the backside.
Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:53 AM
*bows again*

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC