Vekoma and Arrow minetrains

Tuesday, December 9, 2003 11:28 AM
I have noticed through looking through various pictures that Vekoma cars have much more extensive theming (such as a bigger train front), yet the track theming, as well as the ride layout, look much better on Arrows (not including BTMR, because that was themed by disney). I am just wondering if I am correct in my findings? I have ridden like 3 mine trains in my life (BTMR, CCMR, and SFStL's)
+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 11:57 AM
I disagree. Vekoma mine train track looks much more like actual "runaway train" track than Arrow's (which is essentially the same track style they used on their looping coasters). Not that it's up to the manufacturer to decide, but since you brought it up, I can't name many Arrow mine trains that are as well themed as the Vekoma rides.

-Nate

+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 1:02 PM
This one has my favorite theming of all...
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery978.htm?Picture=2
+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 1:13 PM
Oh dear!
+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 2:22 PM
And what a Thrill Ride it must be...
+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 3:55 PM

This one has my favorite theming of all...
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery978.htm?Picture=2

Not only is the theming excellent, the ride itself is one of the most amazing mine coasters I've ever been on. Fantastic airtime and powerful g's on the turns, many of which are banked at almost 90 degrees. And hands down the best and longest tunnel section of any mine train, which features several moments of surprise airtime in complete darkness. This is the ride that changed my opinion of Vekoma, which proves they can make great rides when they want to.

+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 4:24 PM
Adventure Express a PKI is pretty themed out. I though it was one of the best mine trains I have been on.

That Micheal Jackson coaster looks pretty damn fun!

+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 4:35 PM

jomo said:

And hands down the best and longest tunnel section of any mine train

Hmm, yeah, I'd heard the tunnel was a key part of the ride. *** Edited 12/9/2003 9:36:17 PM UTC by ThemeDesigner***


+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 5:23 PM

Crashmando said:
Adventure Express a PKI is pretty themed out. I though it was one of the best mine trains I have been on.


Sure if you like anti-climactic themeing. I mean couldn't they at least have some sort of ending element rather than just the brakes? Perhaps a helix after the megamaid tunnel?

+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 5:41 PM
I didn't say it was the best. I rode it 3 times. I didn't think it was to bad. It had more theming then most mine trains I have ridden. Only 4 miners

Adventure Express

Cedar Creek Mine Train

Runaway train at SFGADV

Trail Blazer

Big Thunder Rail road, but that is awesome.

+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 7:26 PM
Ive only ridden 3 mine trains all arrows, and none of were very exciting for me. Maybe just havn't ridden enough of em.

Cedar Creek at Cedar Point

Dahlonega MT at SF Georgia

and of Course

River King MT at SF St. Louis

+0
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 8:15 PM

jfmoe said:
Sure if you like anti-climactic themeing. I mean couldn't they at least have some sort of ending element rather than just the brakes? Perhaps a helix after the megamaid tunnel?

Agreed. That ending sucks. The theming on the lifts should swap.

As for a ride sponsered by Michael Jackson , I don't think that's gonna' give you the publicity you want.
----------------------
Dahlonega and Adventure Express. They both kind of suck , but on Dahlonega , at least you can have fun with it.

+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 2:28 AM

Turbo said:
I have noticed through looking through various pictures that Vekoma cars have much more extensive theming (such as a bigger train front), yet the track theming, as well as the ride layout, look much better on Arrows (not including BTMR, because that was themed by disney). I am just wondering if I am correct in my findings? I have ridden like 3 mine trains in my life (BTMR, CCMR, and SFStL's)

None of the Big Thunder Mountain Mine Trains were built by Arrow, or connected to them in any way. All four were designed by WED/Walt Disney Imagineering, and fabricated by Vekoma.

+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 5:41 AM
^This is all very confusing:

I take it that BTMR opened in DL in 1979. So I guess production might have started in 1978. This would make BTMR the FIRST VEKOMA COASTER EVER!
I always thought that the mobile corkscrew which opened in 1979 was the first coaster to come from the dutch company, using an Arrow licence.

Why did Disney NOT employ Arrow? They used to have a long time relationship. Why did they chose to go for an unknown, foreign manufacture whith no coaster experience?

I dont exactly know when Arrow had its first crisis and was owned by Huss. But this was certainly not in the late seventies when they were building corkscrews like mad.

Can anyone shed some light?

+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 10:49 AM
I've always had my doubts that DL's BTMR is actually a Vekoma ride. Like tricktrack says, Disney and Arrow had a long time relationship. I wonder if this is an old wives tale repeated so many times it is now assumed to be fact.
+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 11:06 AM
Take a look at the trains, the track style, and notice how they're identical to the DLP minetrain (which most definitely *is* a Vekoma ride). It's not an old wive's take; Vekoma supplied all the hardware for all of the BTMRRs.

-Nate

+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 11:08 AM
But but....RCDB saya so!
+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 11:21 AM

coasterdude318 said:
Take a look at the trains, the track style, and notice how they're identical to the DLP minetrain (which most definitely *is* a Vekoma ride). It's not an old wive's take; Vekoma supplied all the hardware for all of the BTMRRs.

-Nate


Does that make it the very first Vekoma Project then?

+0
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 12:19 PM
Technically yes, but Vekoma also opened two corkscrew coasters the same year, so Vekoma as a company existed before 1989.

-Nate

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...