Instead, I'd like to just throw a different kind of trip report out there. The following are some unforgettable memories from an old-school coaster enthusiast making his first trip to Santa Claus, IN.....
- I finally understand. After years of reading about Holiday World on these boards, I can honestly say that everything good and wonderful you've heard about this place is 100% true.
- For a bunch of so-called "geeks", I met some of the nicest, friendliest, and talkative people this weekend. You don't even realize you're waiting in a line when you can strike up a fun conversation with anyone who's standing around you.
- The free drinks thing improves the park experience way more than I thought it would.
- Are there clones of Mrs. Koch? It seemed like she was everywhere the entire time, greeting people, serving food, or just making sure everything was going smoothly. I wish I had her energy!
- The Raven could be re-named Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. A great, fun, enjoyable ride during the day, but an absolutely incredible experience at night.
- How cool is it to ride a coaster with one of it's creators sitting behind you? On the end brake run on Voyage, Mike Graham from the Gravity Group asked us, "How DO you describe that?". Mike? Your answer, at least from me, is, "Religiously!".:)
- Taking my friend, Lisa, on her first coaster trip, and watching her expressions as she rode only her 3rd, 4th, and 5th coasters ever.
- Seeing/hearing the happy and knowing reactions from people when I told them that this was my first visit to Holiday World.
- Seeing/hearing the happier and more knowing expressions when those same people hear that my friend is only on her coaster number 5.
- Finding out that dark rides with laser guns are one of my new favorite kinds of rides. Gobbler Getaway rules!
- Re-establishing contact with old friends (Mamoosh, Nasai, Chitown, Sparky687), and making a whole bunch of new ones (RollerGator, +Danny, Riverview Mike, IggyAce, Redman, Michael Darling, Bassissist, the Drabeks, and everyone else whose names are a blur right now!)
- Learing how cool a Proslide Tornado really is.
- Seeing coaster shirts from all over the world and actually recognizing where they came from.
- Where did all of the turtles come from? We must have passed 'em crossing or on the side of the roads down there almost every couple of miles.
- Walking around Friday night with my mouth agape from how unbelieveable the Voyage is. I don't think anyone else will be able to touch the level of this ride for a long, long time.
Well, my mind is still a blur from the weekend, and duty calls, so I'm off. But before I go, I'd like to end by giving a gigantic thanks to the Koch family and the rest of the wonderful people at Holiday World. They really rolled out the red carpet for us, and they deserve all the blessings in the world for themselves and their ultimate example of what a day at an amusement park should really be.
How many times did I introduce myself to you this weekend? How many of those times was I not consuming a big kid beverage?
It was great to see you again too. We have to meet againg in the Dells or at SFGAm.
Looking forward to another get-together, although I *PPP*robably won't see you all en masse until, say, October sometime... ;)
Oh, and since HW really isn't all that, I guess Eric is just another satisfied customer of the (free) HW Kool-Aid... ;)
Don't just believe the hype, experience it for yourself! :)
John, on the number of your self-introductions, I think the number of non-inebriated was ONE. ;)
After pondering, I've come up with a few comments that were overheard/seen that will be forever remembered....
- referring to coaster-induced brain scrambling, "Slosh Factor".
- "My kid is a Credit Ho! / I'm a Credit Ho!"
- in reference to some RPG, "Got Sheep?"
- "American/Cowboy/Devil/Pig" or something like that in Japanese kanjii.
- "I don't think my jaw works anymore, 'cause I'm that speechless!" about Voyage.
- "We Ride All Year!", F#&^ing Florida people! ;)
- "The Voyage is too intense? That's like saying that Cindy Crawford is too sexy!"
- "Roller Coaster lovers do it in the back seat" on a car's bumper sticker.
- "Hey Lisa! Grab my @ss! It's really hot!"
- and to end, the comment I kept repeating to myself throughout the entire event....
"I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!"
Great (finally) meeting up with you Eric. Nice succinct TR, *some people* seem to want to write Melville novels, LOL!
Some people don't love you!! ;)
"My kid is a Credit Ho! / I'm a Credit Ho!"
I'm still waiting for the photo to show up somewhere as many people just came up to us and took our pictures.
You must be logged in to post