Enough is enough. I have been a very large supporter of Geauga Lake, SFO and SFWoA for a very long time. I would defend her both in person and on the net from negative people. However, times are changing. The old Geauga Lake was fun. It wasnt the biggest, or pretiest park in the world, but it was great. It was ours. It was a lot of fun, and most importantly it was not corperate. When I first heard the **rumor** that Six Flags bought Geauga Lake, I was exstatic. WOW! Could we actually have a Six Flags park on the shores of Lake Erie??!! When the OFFICIAL announcement was made, I was drooling. When I heard the announcement of the "Breaking News" on WTAM 1100 radio while eating lunch and listening to Mike Trivasono that Six Flags purchased Sea World Ohio, I didnt think it could get any better. WOW! This is it!! Or so I thought...
I am sure each and every person reading this has heard the old adage "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". I can not beleive how true that statement is. The parks corperate image has done so much this year, that I know am actually getting a bad taste for SIx Flags. Lets take a look:
(1) TRASH - First and foremost. I have read the posts about the trash on the net, but never really noticed it. I guess another old adage is true. Love is blind. I had such a love for the park for so many years, that I never really noticed it. The last few times I have been there, the place has been DISGUSTING! Not only the park, but the parking lot! They advertise all over the midwest, trying to get people to come to the park. Would these same nitwits bring a guests to there house, if there garbage cans were overflowing, and there was grafitti on the walls? I know I sure wouldnt. But that is the park, so it is OK. If I was a first time visitor, coming from a long way away, I know I sure as hell would not be comming back.
(2) PRICES - Again, GET REAL!! They are charging **MORE** than Cedar Point and giving less! Wasnt it just a few short months ago, during the press release of the name change to WOA, didnt Story boast "All this, and were still $1 cheaper than Cedar Point!". He conviently forgot to say "Hurry!! For a limited time only!!". Parking was $7 in May. $8 in June. $9 in July. As I look at my calandar, I see it is August. I do not make $50,000 a year like those lame brain analysts that always are making perdictions in every newspaper artice you read. How would this look in the Plain Dealer? AURORA, OH Six Flags Worlds of Adveture has raised parking prices for the second time in a year. Old Timer, an analyst with the RefreshingLook Group perdicts parking rates to be at an industry high of $10 before the end of August. Gee, that was hard. (Sorry, I just hate reading stupid perdictions from some Yoyo sitting behind a desk all day making $50,000 saying stuff that a 10 year old kid can figure out). OK, enough of that, back to SFWoA *****ing. $4.00 for a hot dog, $2.75 for a 20 oz bottle of Coke. All rediculous. All more expensivce than Cedar Point. As I look through my book of quotes, it brings me to another one. "You get what you pay for". SFWoA is the exception to the rule. There admission price, parking and concessions are all more expensive than Cedar Point. It doesnt take a mathamatician to figure out the better value here. $39.99 for park with 10 coasters, and overflowing garbage cans, so-so friendly staff and long lines with slow dispatch times or $1 less for a clean world class park with 14 coasters and friendlier employees. If you want to compete with Cedar Point, do it at all levels. Why not compete for cleanest park? Friendliest employees? Most eficient opperation? SFWoA whould learn from an example in there own back yard. Look at Marcs. THere is one in Aurora and one in Solon. Mark made his millions by trying something new. Selling larger quantities at a lower profit. Guess what??!! IT WORKED!! How many store does he have now?? Take a hint SixFlags.... It works!!!
(3) PARKING - This one **still** irks me. I hate them damn parking tickets. in 98 and 99 at Geauga Lake, you could get a parking pass for $25 that would last all season. As soon as it became 6 Flags, boom, it was gone. I paid $50 for a parking pass at Cedar Point this year. I go out to the parks a few times a week. DO I want to go to a park, where I pay once to park all year, and can use money for other things, or do I want to buy tickets every 4th or 5th trip. Heaven forbid if you do not have $20 to buy your next strip of tickets, as you are paying $9 to park to go get that book, trust me, I know. It happened to me twice. Charge me $50 (double what it was in 99) for a parking pass. Sure it is a lot of money, but atleast give me that option.
(3) LEGAL LINE JUMPING - Fast pass, quick que, whatever you want to call it. I have used this system at Busch Gardens. It works great. For an out-of-towner (like I was), who will probably only get to the park once this year (or for quite a few years) that is great. However, the way Six Flags opperates it is not right. Bootom line. I have heard numerous stories (There's that name again ) about people strapped in on Superman, and removed from their seat do to a Fastpasser. That is BullCrap. The FastPasser should get on the NEXT train. Gee, do you think might actually slow the ride down, and actually DEFEAT the whole purpose of Fast Pass? Not only do other parks do it free, they do it right.
(4) CUSTOMER SERVICE - This one really gets me. My buddy Aaron and I went to the park last night after work. We took one car odvios reasons. He met me where I work and we took one car. He forgot his wallet in the car. He had is drivers liscense in his pocket, but not his season pass. There policy is they will let you in *one* time during the year without your pass. If a person repeatedly does not have his pass, I can see there point. But when you forgot it when transfering from one car to another 40 miles away..... They had no problem taking my parking ticket. So we left. I have worked customer service for a number of years, and there is a thing called customer satisfaction.
I am 34, and use the name Oldtimer on here, cause I am older than most (but not all) of the users on this website. I have been going to the park for many years, and quite frankly, before most of you were born. When I see so many very young college students in upper management positions that bothers me. Dont get me wrong, if they can handle the job, god bless them. But it is quite odvious, the job is not getting done. They need a guy like Dick Kinczel. You get knoledge from experience, not a book in a college classroom. Why don't they pull the six flags out of the parking lot, and put up new ones? 1 letter per flag.... Lets see how it would look....
___ ___ ___ ___ ____ ___ [ G ] [ R ] [ E ] [ E ] [ D ] [ Y ] |--- |--- |--- |--- |---- |--- | | | | | | | | | | | |
I could go on and on... but I have to leave work now.... I am sure I will get flamed by some of you, but I am only speaking the truth. I was blinded my whole life by the love of this park. Will I get a season pass next year? Probably not. Unless they are willing to make major changes in a hury. With all that money they are making, the can surely afford people to sweep the midways and take out the trash.
Print this sucker and send it to the park office. Not the one at SFWoA, I mean send it to the head office in Oklahoma; use a certified letter if need be. May not do much, but it's not like us enthusiasts can change anything, the change is up to the repeat visitors to stop coming.
------------- Rollercoasters are the secret of life!
This is essentially the first year SFWoA has been in existence. I am not excusing their poor customer service, but it generally takes at least a year, maybe two, to sort everything out. Premier is obviously interested in improving this park-just look the number of major coasters they have built in an extremely short period of time. It's my guess that Premier knew exactly what they were doing by spending the majority of their allotted budget on rides. Your average mullet-wearing theme park guest really doesn't care much about graffiti or trash-hell, it probably makes them feel like they're at home. I do expect that WoA will improve in these areas in the years to come, but look at it this way-if the park were sparkling clean, and there were no major coasters, would you go? I'm guessing no, not if you could go ride large coasters at either CP or PKI. Give them a little time, and they'll get things straightened out. I, personally, had a great time at WoA when I went for the first time this past month.
I'm not really sure why you have such hatred towards college graduates. I have a degree, and I make a decent living. Does that make me less qualified to judge how a theme park should be operated? You make some adequate points in your post, but your overtones of anger and feelings of inadequacy overshadow them. Yes, I'm 23, and I don't have the life experience that you have, but I pay my money at the gate just like you do.
We could go on and on complaining on message boards and newsgroups and not help ONE BIT. Instead why not mail the letters DIRECTLY to the theme park or corporate... They're almost guarenteed to get read by the parks there.
We all must remember, when Premier Parks bought the Funtime chain (Geauga, Wyandot, Darien) in 1995, they were and still are essentially run by the same "person" that owns them now. I am talking about head Six Flagger; Gary Story.
He has had Geauga lake under his belt since June 1995 and has had plenty of time to operate this and every park with the same professionalism and consideration towards it's patrons.
Until he makes an effort to run the chain with better morales, all are doomed my friends.
Yes, there are such parks with really good people like GrAm and SFoG, but if standereds are lowered in some of th larger parks, it won't take long before the entire chain is infected.
Why would you guys spend so much time blasting a little six flags park, rather then talking about one of the greatest parks in the world which is only an hour away? I mean the solution to this problem is pretty easy. Go to cedar point.
I find this story funny.(LOL) Someone losing there seat on S:UE for an express rider,right.(LOL) That's funny if you've ever actually took the time to visit the park you would know they have a row of seats reserved for express riders ONLY on the(5)coasters that have them. Yes folks,you've read that right. The RWB,S:UE,Serial Thriller,X-Flight,and can't remember the last one. Please note you're only allowed to use your express pass once on S:UE and X-Flight.
SFWoA was very bad when I went there this summer. I know they're trying to make some changes but come on! The park's a total mess! Lines leading nowhere, trash, terrible layout. This park definitely needs some work!
------------- http://expage.com/rollercoastersurvivor The ONLY website dedicated to Roller Coaster Survivor! Goliath is gone, and now it's time to vote off a wood coaster. Come vote for which one you want voted off! VOTE NOW!
For the of of towners, they probably complain about the pricing and then enjoy their day (haven't been to the park since 1991 when it was GL)I assume. Most haven't been to Busch Gardens, Universal, or CP can don't compare prices like we do. If you like the rides and hate the operations, it should balance out. I wouldn't mind going to SFWOA just to try it out. I will also guess that SF may pump the most money into this park since it competes directly with the king CP. ------------- Assistant Webmaster Kennywood Park Unlimited www.kpunlimited.com
Cry me a river! I was there in June, and thought it was a really nice park, just as clean as Cedar Point! You people are funny, always ripping! You wanna PLAY you gotta PAY! Don't like the prices don't go to the park!! By the way there food was good too!
You guys need to stop your whining, because when it all comes down to it SFWOA is one of the best SF parks out there. You seem to bash everything, but you guys never compliment what you go to the park for. The rides!!! The coasters there are awesome, X-Flight is really cool, BKF is the best floorless I've been on (been on every one cept SKC at SFFT). Villain makes Mean Streak seem pathetic, and S:UE is great too. I go to CP to ride 4 coasters, MF, Magnum, Mantis, and Raptor. I go to SFWOA to ride 4 coasters, XF, Villain, B:KF, and S:UE.
Besides the park isn't that dirty. My friend and me had no clue what you guys were talking about when we visited in June. The park was clean, and the ops were much faster and efficient than the ones here at SFOG. Plus the pizza place that was across from B:KF was awesome, and better than any Happy Friar or Gourment Pretzel food place at CP. It's like most of you who bash SFWOA have never been there and just make up stories or stupid comments just to fit in with the group and make it sound like you know everything.
------------- "This time I think ... I think it's ... it's going to work!" - Dr.Bruce Banner
I have to agree with Scotty on most of what he said - the trash problem, the outrageous food prices (which isn't all that bad in some locations), as well as the extremely foul Fast Lane program.
But if you notice, SFWoA is probably the most watched park making it the most picked on SF park in the chain. Every little detail, good or bad (mostly bad), is expressed on this forum and others. And what makes it even worse is the constant comparison with CP.
Transitions take a while. It's only been a Six Flags for two years. You can't expect miracles to happen overnight.
People stop complianing and go to the park a stop looking for bad spots
Cleaness, All parks have this problem, and if people would use the "TRASH CAN" as desighn we would not have this problem, would we?
Parking that i do agree with you, but i'm sure if you own your own park, you would have parking around 6 and 7 bucks!
Food/Drink prices, every park has expensive food and drinks, and the park has to make a profit! So do the company(s)
All parks need to be fix up some point in time.
FASTLANE. You local may not like it, but i sure do and if you on a tight time wise. Then i'm sure you would use it too. Also how would you think that other local at other park think when you take up there time in line, JUST THINK ABOUT THAT! before you make that comment.
Get the point, good, oh SIX FLAGS IS NOT CP, so stop compaing it to it!!!
I don't think there is a person in the world who would say that the new rides aren't top notch. If anything, the frustrations people have with the park are because of those great rides.
At the end of the day, I just want to ride coasters and forget where I am. As a Cleveland resident, I've found that Kennywood, Cedar Point and Kings Island have excelled at doing this year. Geauga Lake gives me the thrill while on the rides, but it always seems like an inconvenience getting to that point. That's why I just won't go there anymore.
And I still maintain that I don't think it's entirely a corporate issue. If you could drop SF Great America in there, I'd be tickled to death. Not because of their rides, but because they seem to have a better grip on how to run the joint.
Personally i myself have not been to SFO, but it looks like a great park ( of Rides) and since i have a SFMM season pass i don't really care how ( locals) complain about the park and the fastlane or what GL used to be. SF offers a low price for a water park, theme, and animal park, for just one great price. Also the hotels are cheap. And as long as the ride are working, don't care about what the employees are about, unless the cause ride problem, but who has not..
CP, seperate admission for Soak City, same as SFHH and SFMM
But my point is that all parks get a little dirty during there peak hours, if you think that the park is dirty,
THEN WORK THERE!!! AND CLEAN IT UP.
Or use the trash cans, now if you talk about nature debree, who cares!