Six Flags Qiddiya announces Falcon’s Flight, a 655-foot-tall roller coaster reaching 156 mph

Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2021 10:49 AM | Contributed by joe.

Six Flags Qiddiya in Saudi Arabia has announced Falcon's Flight, an Intamin roller coaster that will climbs 655 feet, drop 525 feet and accelerate to 156 mph over 13,000 feet of track.

Read more and see video from USA Today.

Thursday, February 4, 2021 9:02 AM

I'll admit to being out of the loop here, but I'm confused. Six Flags Qiddiya announced a new coaster two days ago that's been on YouTube for two years?

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz

+0
Thursday, February 4, 2021 10:02 AM

No. USA Today picked up the announcement two days ago – it has been around for a lot longer than that.

I develop Retro Games for macOS, iPhone, and iPad when not riding coasters.

+1Loading
Thursday, February 4, 2021 10:27 AM

What happens at that speed if they put the wheels on backwards?

+3Loading
Saturday, February 6, 2021 3:13 AM

You're right Richard. There has been a lot of work behind the scenes, getting this project off the ground correctly. The saudis have sent lot of young people to Rosen College in Orlando to learn hospitality, plus having a school or college of sorts there to train people. They want a local talent pool to start with, versus UAE and Qatar who need to get foreigners for everything.

From speaking with the principals behind the project at IAAPA and listening to the update press conferences, the government realized that saudis young adults love to travel abroad for theme parks and that kind of entertainment. To that end, they are building Qiddiya, of which Six Flags (who is licensing their name and assisting in the design) is an important part.

+0
Saturday, February 6, 2021 5:04 AM

GoBucks89 said:

What happens at that speed if they put the wheels on backwards?

Depends on whether the Flux Capacitor has been fitted correctly.

+1Loading
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 10:51 PM

I also wondered about the potential wheel issue, but maybe there aren't any issues on Formula Rossa, which is close to speed, and environment. They aren't going with the hydraluic launch though, and I thought heat could cause issue with LSMs. Am I wrong there?

Fever I really enjoy the Simpsons. It's just a shame that I am starting to LOOK like Homer.
+0
Wednesday, February 17, 2021 9:44 AM

Wheel degradation is a function of speed but also duration (as well as the environment). If these trains are cooling off for a lengthy period of time between cycles (think Dragster), some of the wheel problems could be reduced.

+1Loading
Wednesday, February 17, 2021 3:03 PM

Gosh that video looks ridiculous, all sped up like an old silent movie from hand cranked camera days.

"I go out at 3 o' clock for a quart of milk and come home to my son treating his body like an amusement park!" - Estelle Costanza
+0
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 2:07 AM

Too bad it's in a ****ty, discriminatory country. I won't be visiting.

+1Loading
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 3:16 AM

Oh, I know. And that’s ok- it’s not exactly like they’re inviting the likes of me.

+0
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 5:41 AM

SVLFever said:

I also wondered about the potential wheel issue, but maybe there aren't any issues on Formula Rossa, which is close to speed, and environment. They aren't going with the hydraluic launch though, and I thought heat could cause issue with LSMs. Am I wrong there?

Formula Rossa has water sprays that cool the wheels when it's stopped in the station.

I imagine Falcon's Flight will have something similar.

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2021, POP World Media, LLC