SFWoA - July 15, 2001

Associated parks:

Sunday, July 15, 2001 4:16 PM
"Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head..."

That's pretty much how the day started. This is a day in the life of Chris and a New Yorker's trip to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure!

Arrived at the park at about 11:00 and noticed that the lot was filled. Yikes! I was expecting this anyways since it was a Sunday, but those FastLane tickets were waiting.

My NY friend and I went immediatly through the doors (she with her free complimentary ticket) and I with my season pass. Asked the Guest Services where I can purchase FL tickets (mind you, I have never been to the park since FL was installed) and received a quiet response. "Excuse me?" I said. She yelled, "RIGHT THERE AT THE GREEN AND WHITE BOOTH!"

Yikes! So we approached the booth and waited about 10 minutes to receive our tickets. Our times for Superman were 3:00 to 4:00, and our times for X-Flight were for 5:00 to 6:00 (we were leaving at 5:30).

Decided to stay mainly on the rides side, and headed straight to the Villain. The line wasn't bad at all, so we waited it out. Rode in the back seat for our first ride. GREAT! My friend loved it as well... she claimed, "It definetly beats out the Predator at my Six Flags!" I'd agree!

We loved it so much, we took another spin - same seat.

After that, we headed toward Geronimo and made an appointment. The main point of the day was to take a trip on this little baby! Our appointment was scheduled for 1:15. It was about 12:45 now.

We decided to skip Serial Thriller, and use our first FL punch for the Villain. The 3rd car from the back is blocked off and reserved for FL customers. Waited about 5 minutes, and we were off. No Booing!

And off we were... to ride that thing in the sky. I was a little nervous at first, but my friend had been on the one at SFDL (her home park).

Was strapped and buckled into place by none other than Jack, who I told I was going to be there the day before. Urgh, those jacket harnesses were too complicated for my mind, as Jack can tell you.

So after all the complicated instructions, we were off into the sky with all the guests looking at us. I gave a simple wave, and Jack counted down for me..... which took awhile.

Finally he said "FLY!" and I pulled the string. A loud and short "Whoa!" was all I gave, and a gasp came from the guests watching. It was a GREAT experience, and I'd certainly do it again.... at Kennywood.

So after our great experience on the Skycoaster (according to my friend, "Wimpier than the one at my park."), we waited in line for BKF. None of the vending machines that gave out pop were working, and I was boiling! Urgh...

BKF's queue lines were all filled with 2 trains running. Luckily, as soon as we got in line, they put the 3rd one on. Yay! They tested each train, and they tested the 3rd train about 5 times before letting anyone on that train.

After about 40 minutes, we were on the front seat. A great ride! She enjoyed the ride, but pointed out the roughness toward the end of the ride.

We decided to use another FL punch and ride Grizzly Run. Waited about 30 seconds, and we were on! Sadly, they took out the waterfalls at the end of the ride and all of the people on our boat kept saying, "Where are the waterfalls.... are they around the turn?" But, luckily, they added a few waterfalls inside one of the tunnels. A big surprise!

Now we were getting hungry (it was around 3:00). We walked over to Subway, ate a sub, and used another FL punch for S:UE... the most anticipated ride for my friend. We walked all the way up the exit ramp, and the employee said, "You must all go down at the beginning of the exit ramp." So after a few grunts and some nasty words, we did as she instructed. We waited about 10 minutes for our ride, and she greeted us with: "Choose your seat.... 13 from the back, or 13 from the front." We wanted the front, but the other FL'ers in front of us took them, so we got the back.

My friend was NOT expecting that initial boost, and she loved that brake on the straight spike! It quickly became her favorite, after BKF.

Big Dipper was running two trains, so we got in line for that (no FL needed). Waited about 10 minutes for car 1-2. I told her about the standing air, and she agreed! Great fun!

Now it was about 4:00, so we still had an hour to go before we could use our FL for X-Flight. We decided to dare the wave pool in Hurricane Harbor.

Lo and behold, as soon as we got in, the whistle blew and everyone was instructed out for 15 minutes. I asked, "How long are the breaks?" and was given an answer of, "15 minutes... and it starts when all of you get out!" Talk about unhappy employees.. jeez.

So we waited the 15 minutes and waved to the riders on Big Dipper while waiting. We saw everyone go in, so we headed in. We went toward the middle (where the waves crashed) and boy, was it intense! I hate those inner tubes... that's why I flip people over that use them!

I also enjoy splashing the people who aren't wet yet, and they just give a moan and look to see who did it. I'm underwater while this is going on.

Stayed in the wave pool for 2 wave sessions, and got out immediatly. We took a gentle ride on the Skyscraper, and got in line for X-Flight, using our FL tickets.

X-Flight's initial line was LONG... about 2 hours at least. They reserved one whole station and train for FL'ers. Gulp... luckily, the guests didn't really know what was going on. So we got in just in time before we left, and it was a great experience. She loved it, and said "There's nothing like that feeling!"

That was her favorite ride of the day.

So my NY friend was impressed with SFWoA and it's performance. Her last visit was back in '95 when GL was present.

Unfortunately, we did not have time to visit the WL side at all, but, she was disappointed about Shamu and laughed about the dolphins trying to splash people in the splash zone.

So a great trip nonetheless, and worth every penny!

Thanks for reading my longest TR to date!

Chris B.
Monday, July 16, 2001 5:20 AM
I really can't stand those fast lane passes. I pay $8 a pop for parking and I will be damned if I am going to pay and additional $10 to get on rides quicker. Nothing against everyone who does buy them, have fun with them. And like Chris had talked about in his TR report, what is with SFWoA's employees. It's like they all hate their jobs and love to show it.
Monday, July 16, 2001 5:50 AM
I was surprised by the not so friendly employees when I was there last week. They were a bit snarly even with each other. Many appeared bored and indifferent (except on X-Flight where a seat checker spent 5 minutes checking a girl's height and even consulted the other train's checker.) The seat checker on MindEraser was reading a magazine between trains. You won't see that at many parks.
Monday, July 16, 2001 7:48 AM
I liked the Beatles reference.

Monday, July 16, 2001 9:30 AM
Surprisingly, I have never ran into any bad employees in my three trips since GL became a SF park, but I have seen some that look bored as well as ones who love to stack trains. I wasn't happy with the ride ops at SFA either, I hope that a trend isn't starting...

I liked the Beatles reference as well, Sgt. Pepper's was a great album. :)

Joe Cernelli
Head Webmaster, Kennywood Boulevard
Monday, July 16, 2001 3:34 PM
"It's raining, it's pouring, this stupid job is boring..."

That's what the employees greeted us to upon entering the park last year. That song foreshadowed the behavior of the other employees the rest of the day.

I found most of them to be rude, impatient, and slow.
Tuesday, July 17, 2001 11:48 AM
Fast lane is the most horrible invention ever IMO. Read my Northern California Part 1 trip report. I sincerely hope this idea crashes and burns. It makes a regular day at the park a nightmare. This could get ugly sometime soon...

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC