For those of you who have been to SFMM, what is your favorite to least favorite coaster? I may go next year and I just want want to make sure that there isn't a certain group that's great and the rest are just ok or lower than that. Any other comments too would help. Thanks!
For a list: Goliath Riddler's Revenge Superman:The Escape Flashback(can anyone tell me why this has bad ratings-it looks interesting to me) Batman:The Ride Revelution Viper Collossus Roadrunner Psyclone Ninja Gold Rusher
1. Viper - This is my personal favorite, but many have a severe problem with headbanging. This coaster is extremely powerful and in my opinion FAR more intense than Goliath
2. Batman The Ride - Coaster Heaven. Even thought there are numerous clones I think this is one of the greatest designs of all time.
3. Goliath - Excellent First Drop, Fantastic Float Hill, Super Intense Helix. My only compaint is that it's about 500 feet too short.
4. Riddler's Revenge - Fun, Very Smooth, Some good spots of airtime. Bicycle Seats can be uncomfortable. Not very intense, kind of like Coaster Balet.
5. Colossus - Another classic that has been ruined by Six Flags. The track needs work and it needs new trains. Still some good airtime in the front seat, but nothin like it used to be
6. Superman The Escape - 0 to 100 in 7 seconds. Not much else. 6.5 seconds of weightlessness highly overrated. Don't wait more than 15 minutes.
7. Flashback - I personally love Flashback. However, many folks have a hard time with this ride since there are several extremely tight turns that cause your head to bang, very hard.
8. Ninja - A fun ride. It's getting kind of bumpy, but I still love a the front seat at night. Whoowee!
9. Psyclone - This ride needs to be burnt to the ground. At one time it was fun, but it's slowly tearing itself apart. Six Flags seems to rebuild it every year, but it just gets worse
10. Gold Rusher - An average mine train. The helix at the end is a mild surprise. Warning: Don't extend your hands on the first drop. You WILL hit your hands on Log Jammer's Flume. Ouch.
11. Roadrunner - Actually the kiddie coaster is called "Canyon Blaster". It's very fun and the concludes with 4 wild bronco hills in rapid succession. Warning: They have started to enforce the Kids only rule on this ride. You won't be allowed to ride w/o someone under 48"
I visited SFMM in Dec of 98 so I haven't ridden Goliath, the new kiddie, or STE (it was down for rehab). My fav coaster there is definitely Riddler's Revenge. It's my #1 stand-up (been on all, except Vortex at PGA) and one heck of a ride! Feels like I'm flying when I ride the front row. The only coaster I didn't like there was Psyclone, affectionately named "Psucklone" and for good reason. It's one of my all time least fav coasters. It has nothing redeeming about it. Slow, uneventful, etc. They messed up by putting those huge B&M trains on there -- those things just tear up the track like there's no tomorrow!
------------- SFGAm: Twice the fun in 2001 (hint, hint)!
*** This post was edited by Legendary on 1/4/2001. ***
I would say it is about 2,500 feet too short! Still a really good ride, despite the length. When it all comes down to it, aren't ALL coasters too short? Goliath is my SFMM favorite, although Riddler, Viper, Batman, Superman, and even Revolution can give fantastic rides too! It depends on the day and my mood.
Goliath, Riddler's Revenge, Superman, Viper, Ninja, Batman and Flashback all rock my boat. What SFMM needs now is good wood. Forget CCI(although I love them), I want to experience a Vekoma or Intamin wooden coaster.
------------- Life consists of two kinds of people, those who accept, and those who sit back and cry...
*** This post was edited by Simcoaster on 1/4/2001. ***
I rode FLASHBACK way back. I was still a youngster, it was when the ride was located at SFGAM where Iron Wolf is now. The ride was jerky back then. I think it was like 1985 or something. SFGAM had a pretty cool commercial for it on TV. Thats when it was known as Z-FORCE.
*** This post was edited by BMCOASTER on 1/4/2001. ***
Since SFMM was so horribly crowded that day I visited, I didn't get to get to ride all of the coasters. I only got to ride 4! Those 4 were: Revolution, Ninja, Batman: The Ride and Viper. Of those 4, Viper tops out the list. A lot of people say it's rough, and devoid of thrills. I thought otherwise. Ninja's second. I don't why, I just love that little swinger! That intense, surprise helix over the waters of Jet Stream literally shocked me. Batman: The Ride is third. I don't know why, but that ride didn't do much for me. Although, it could've been the 3 hour wait. Revolution is last. It wasn't as bad as everyone made it seem, I actually had fun! I will be going back to SFMM in May, hopefully the crowds will be lighter, but with 3 new coasters, I don't think they will.
*** This post was edited by Screamer on 1/5/2001. ***
I didn't think there was really anything wrong with Revolution. I didn't experience any headbanging, which is probably because I naturally ride sticking my head forward, out of the restraint. Riding this way, I've never endured any headbanging, with the exception of Flight of Fear, at PKI. I think the headbanging is unavoidable on that coaster. Also, a lot of people complain about the trim brakes on Revolution, I only noticed one of them, on top on the first hill, right before the loop. Other than that, Revolution was really fun! It has a nice first drop, an intense loop and an okay tunnel midway through the ride. Maybe not your first priority when visiting SFMM, but definitely one of them.
Here are my personal favorites at SFMM 1. Riddler's Revenge 2. Goliath 3. Ninja 4. Flashback 5. Batman: The Ride 6. Superman: The Escape 7. Viper 8. The Revolution 9. Colossus 10. Gold Rusher 11. Psyclone I HAVE NOT RIDDEN CANYON BLASTER
Okay, I don't get why Revolution and Viper are bashed so much. To me, those coasters don't give as much headbanging as Flashback. I love Viper, especially those slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww corkscrews. I'm glad they're not fast, cuz you feel like your hanging their for an eternity. As for Revolution, it is situated in one of the best scenic environments. I can totally bear the headbanging, but only complaint is that the train stops too many times. However, there are many elements of surprise. And oh yeah, I suggest you bring a kid with you to ride Canyon Blaster. Man, that coaster is a relentless thrill. Big things come in small boxes...or packages..or whateva.
It looks like Superman used to be really overrated by what I heard then to now. Kind of surprises me. I better stick with SFO's SUE or SFNE's SROS as being much better than this one. Psyclone is constantly at the bottom of your lists. I'll make sure to keep that one as an only-if-I-have-A-LOT-of-extra-time-left ride. Whew! That was long.