SFGAdv 6/3/05 - 6/4/05

Associated parks:

Monday, June 6, 2005 9:12 AM
Well the hype got the better of me and I went down to SFGAdv to ride Kingda Ka. I did get on it three times on Saturday, June 4th and the bottom line is that it was worth it.

Got to the park at around 8:30 on Friday, drizzle was in the air and one employee at the front gates said forget about KK all day. He proved to be right, as the rain turned heavier as the day went by. But all the season pass holders went over at 9:00 anyway, and we watched a few test runs into the fog, even saw a rollback. I will say this, if the weather is good and there are no mechanical issues, it looks like it is possible to get a good four or five rides (at least) in between 9-10 on Friday mornings, but this day we had no such luck. Anyway, they opened Medusa for us, took a few laps, took a few on Nitro at 10 before the school groups came in, Superman, and the rest of the day was just rain and more rain so I left.

Saturday morning started with more of the same drizzle, and I thought it was over, but I bolted right to the Q-bot line anyway and threw down my 67 or whatever bucks for a a gold bot, just on the chance that the weather cleared. Took a ride on Nitro and then headed to KK as the rain started to let up! Then the sun started to shine (I really could not believe how it cleared so fast) and they opened up the gate (Q-Bot was not working at that time as the ride was officially closed) so I got in the regular line. Waited from about 10:45 till around 2:00, as mechanics were working on a blown fuse or something down at the end of the "front stretch" before the first hill. They finally let people on, and after about a 15 minute wait (in the left station, second train) I got the second row. Well they dispatched us and we watched the first train go. Then the horn sounded, and the train was launched with a strong force down the track, pushing us back into our seats, then up the hill and through the twist, over the top for a split second chance to look down on Nitro and the rest of the park, and then into the dive, over the bunny hop and back into the station with everybody screaming and cheering. It was truly a thrill ride, short but very sweet.

Anyway, I went out the exit, reserved a ride with Q-bot, and eventually got "two for one" rides as it seemed enough just to flash the Q-bot to the attendant as I was going in, although I made it very obvious as I passed the people standing in the regular line, as they were not in that hospitable a mood after waiting 5 plus hours, and I really didn't want to take a chance at causing a riot at that moment. After my third ride, I wandered around a little bit and left the park around 6.

Here are a few tips if you are going. Number one option is to get a SF season pass and get to the park at around 8:30 on a good weather Friday morning and hope that KK is in the mood. Other than that, get to the park before gates, and run to the Q-Bot line when the park opens. You should seriously consider investing in a gold bot (or even "VIP pass" if you are loaded, ha) if you want to ride KK more than once. Good luck and have fun.

Wednesday, June 8, 2005 4:03 PM
Nice TR. I'll be heading up to Jersey June 23-25. We are gonna make a pit stop to SFA to get our season passes processed. Q-Bot never crossed my mind. I will be taking advantage of that service ;)

Thanks for the tips!


You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2022, POP World Media, LLC