PKI: April 5 (minor spoilers)

Associated parks:

Friday, April 5, 2002 4:56 PM

My friend and I arrived at the park around 9 am to line up for Tomb Raider. We ended up near the front of the pack. However, as the security guard is walking us back to Tomb Raider he suddenly stops. Everyone begins a mad sprint to the entrance. We managed to pass a few people and got a respectable position in line. Of course TR:TR would not open on time. Figuring that we could be on the first run if we stayed we decided to just hang out in line. It wasn't that bad. The 1:30 we waited for it to open seemed to fly by because we chatted with a fellow enthusiast. I can't remember his name, but he was really cool and had been to a lot of different parks, so if you are reading this, it was nice meeting you (This is John). Finally the ride opened to the applauding of the crowd. The theming throughout the que is fantastic. We were near the very end of the 1st group so we sat in the middle of the back row. The ride itself is just insane. After getting off and trying to remember the details, I could not remember exactly what happened. I wasn't sure when we were upside down and when certain things happened. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

Next up was SOB. The end of the line was right before the ramps leading to the station. We ended up sitting in second seat from the back. As far as the ride, not much has changed here. Same great ride, still a little rough at points, but who cares (at least I don't).

It was now around 12:30 so we left the park and got Subway for lunch. 30 minutes later we were back in the park.

Looking for a calm ride to allow our food to settle, we settled for the Zephyr. A little shakier (if that is even a word) than normal, but still a good ride.

Next up was the Wild Thornberries River Ride. Sure it was a little chilly, but we didn't get very wet. Still a great addition to the kids area and a great log flume for everyone.

We had slacked off the majority of the day, taking in the sights and not riding much. Now it was time for some riding.

We returned to TR:TR at 3:30. The line stretched to about 20 ft. beyond the que itself. Around 2 hours later(I can only guess the time because we did not have a watch) we were strapping in for our second ride on TR. The ride began and then suddenly stopped. The announced that the ride was having difficulties, but would be running again shortly. With the lights on we were able to examine the scenery much more than before. About 10 or so minutes later we were off. This ride was much more intense than the morning ride.

Next up was Top Gun. I do not know why, but this thing was flying. I never remember it going this fast, but it was the best ride I had ever had on Top Gun. We then hit Adventure Express and 7th Portal.

It was now around 7 o'clock. With one hour left we hit Vortex. It looks very nice with the new paint job, but not much else has changed. Still a little rough on the transistions, but who cares.

We decided to close out the night on Drop Zone. This ride still makes me a bit nervous. Very chilly at the top and even colder falling down. It was now 8pm and the park was closing.

Observations: They have changed the parking names. Where we used to have Fred Flinstone, Dino, etc. parking we now have Son of Beast, Face/Off, Adventure Express, etc. parking.

King Cobra is almost gone. Only the lift, station, and one bunny hop remain.

They have the same fencing that was around Keel Boats last year around King Cobra. I believe it reads Visit Kings Island for something new next year (or something like that).

The Slingshot looks to be ready anyday now.

That pretty much wraps up the report. We had a great time, and will be back up tomorrow after the ACT and again on Sunday.

Friday, April 5, 2002 9:26 PM
Beast is close becuase of new brakes right? Nice report!
Saturday, April 6, 2002 5:56 AM
Actually, if you were the group running, I probably saw you from inside the cave que. :) They had the ride roped off at the sign for everyone so that the people who bought the EBay ride and who were in ACE could get on. So really you got on the third ride of the day, I was on the second :)
Sunday, April 7, 2002 3:50 PM
I woulda been on the third, but after Thursdays ride problems I decided to not wait. I went back at about 12:10 and got on then. I got to ride a bucnh of rides instead of waiting then so it wasn't to bad.
Sunday, April 7, 2002 3:53 PM

I went on Saturday and waited about 10 minutes for TR:TR. It was almost empty on Saturday!

I know, I know, I spelled Millennium wrong...

Sunday, April 7, 2002 4:04 PM

I would have felt a lot better about TR had I only waited 10 min. I really hope PKI didn't spend as much money on it as some are speculating. IMO this ride will lose it's appeal fairly quickly. Very disappointed.

Sunday, April 7, 2002 4:20 PM
Well, if $14 million is right on what they spent for TRTR, I don't think it was that bad at all. It certainly could have been a whole lot worse.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC