Posted Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:50 AM | Contributed by Jeff
On Feb. 12, an icon of the Orlando tourism industry passed into history. Skull Kingdom, the massive walk-through haunted house near the corner of International Drive and Universal Boulevard, closed its doors in November. Last week the building and all its contents went up for auction. But it appears the auctioneer’s gavel was unable to pound the final nail into the attraction’s coffin. Like one of the vengeful spirits it once used to scare visitors, Skull Kingdom refused to go gently into that good night, and the fight over its fate may turn out to be grislier than any of the mangled corpses it once housed.
Read more from Orlando Weekly.
^Please note tongue-in-cheek delivery...LOL!
Secondly, there's NO mention of the Screamin' Swing that sat idle out in front of the place for over a year...hmmmm.
So how many of these "scream factories" have passed on in the Orlando area?
There is a much better Haunted House in Old Town for the dollar.
Having said that, Skull Kingdom was not to bad. They had a lot of expensive tricks. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the spaces were very open. The year round haunt in Sandusky is very fun because of the claustrophobia one experiences there.
Skull Kingdom was fun, for what it was. It lacked a lot of artistic expression from the designers, instead relying on expensive "store bought" tricks to offer scares(which isn't necessarily a bad thing if successfully complemented with some kind of uniqueness).
It did have a very cool facade though. It reminded me of Castle Greyskull...lol.
crazy horse said:
Here is a interesting story about skull kingdom. It seems that the attraction may live once again as a seasonal attraction in daytona.
Umm, that's the news story linked above.
You must be logged in to post