Ollie Ollie Oxen Free...lurkers, come out and play

Tuesday, June 11, 2002 6:52 PM

OK, one last topic before the mega-TR....

On "the trip", I ran into no fewer than ten people who ID'd me as rollergator, cursed and spit at me (j/k), and said something like: "I visit the 'buzz, but I'm basically a lurker". Now perhaps a definition of online community is in order, but probably not...;). I found these folks to be, not surprisingly, intelligent and well-spoken, with interesting thoughts and opinions on the rides we love and the places they reside. (Warning: the only time I've ever seen that spelled out was in Peanuts, so it very well may be Olli Olli Ochsen Frie for all I know....).

But I digress....most of us don't bite...at least not like Marv Albert or Mike Tyson...;)....so why don't you at least say "Hi", even if only this once. Who knows, you might like it.....

+0
Tuesday, June 11, 2002 7:06 PM

I'll bite... I am what I like to call a semi-lurker. (perhaps a sub-lurker??) I just lay low, and read allot. I don't know everything there is to know about the amusement park industry and I don't pretend to that's why, unless I know for a 100% fact, that I refrain from what I call "posting on a whim". I just don't like to post not being certain of what I'm talking about.

I can't count the number of times I've begun typing a reply and after finishing and checking it for errors and all that jazz, I've just not hit the submit button because I think, "Gee, is this post really relevant or am I just wasting bandwidth?"

I've kind of came out of my shell as of late though. I've only been on here about 2 years and I've only made like 200 or so posts. So I pretty much consider myself a semi-sub-lurker that's just happy to be surfacing all of a sudden! :)

-----------------
Proud member of the Frequent Flyer Club of CBuzzCon '02

+0
Tuesday, June 11, 2002 7:17 PM
I used to post a lot more than I do, but my email provider (@home.com) went down and my account went with it. Had to re-register, but summer is here, so I'll show up more.

-----------------
Wash away us all. Take us with the floods.

+0
Tuesday, June 11, 2002 9:31 PM
" Is a lurker." But if I do see you at a park I'll give a quick hollar.
+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 4:58 AM

I for one have a great deal of respect for people who don't talk just to hear themselves talk.

-----------------
Jeff - Webmaster/Admin - CoasterBuzz.com, Sillynonsense.com
"As far as I can tell it doesn't matter who you are. If you can believe, there's something worth fighting for..." - Garbage, "Parade"

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:06 AM

Jeff said:

I for one have a great deal of respect for people who don't talk just to hear themselves talk.

-----------------
Jeff - Webmaster/Admin - CoasterBuzz.com, Sillynonsense.com
"As far as I can tell it doesn't matter who you are. If you can believe, there's something worth fighting for..." - Garbage, "Parade"



Amen to that, Jeff.

I don't think there's anything wrong with "lurking" if you have nothing to contribute to the conversation at the time. I would much rather have someone not post about a certain coaster than trying to act important and posting a bunch of bulls**t when that person in reality has never even been on that coaster!

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:24 AM

Joey Stewart said:

I'll bite... I am what I like to call a semi-lurker. (perhaps a sub-lurker??) I just lay low, and read allot. I don't know everything there is to know about the amusement park industry and I don't pretend to that's why, unless I know for a 100% fact, that I refrain from what I call "posting on a whim". I just don't like to post not being certain of what I'm talking about.

I can't count the number of times I've begun typing a reply and after finishing and checking it for errors and all that jazz, I've just not hit the submit button because I think, "Gee, is this post really relevant or am I just wasting bandwidth?"

I've kind of came out of my shell as of late though. I've only been on here about 2 years and I've only made like 200 or so posts. ...



Word trudat homeskillet! I've been around te site under 2 different names since late 2000. Honestly, I love to sit back and enjoy people jibberjaw about coasters.

I usually don't like to post because I have nothing relative to say or what I want to say has been posted 400 times in the same thread. ;) Many a times, I start a big, long post and read over it and realize it's a bunch o poo.

So.... I like lurking. :)

-----------------
Vote Jose Rijo for President

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:58 AM

rollergator said:
"(Warning: the only time I've ever seen that spelled out was in Peanuts, so it very well may be Olli Olli Ochsen Frie for all I know....).
"

Was that the one where Lucy was mistakenly yelling out "Olie Olie Osen Free-O" till Linus corrected her? I only remember that because we never yelled out anything like that when I was a young'un. The most we would say is either "Home" or "Safe". Then again, we didnt call the game "Hide and Seek" or "Tag" either. The game was simply called "It".

Anyway, daily, I think that I should scale back from posting and fade into the obscurity of lurking. Only problem is that I think if I did, I'd stop reading totally because too many of the post are like "Me Too" or 'let's kiss Jeff's ass'. I think a bit of controversy makes for more interesting reading. Unfortuneatly, there appear not to be too many people willing to assume that role. So I (very arrogantly) think I am to valuble to lurk ;)
lata,
jeremy
--did I hold my own nutz in this post or what?

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:13 AM

....hold my nose.....we are the Sons of the P...sorry, a bit of Digital Underground had to come into play after an ending like that. Please don't become a lurker, there's really about a dozen or so folks that I felt the NEED to meet in person....glad we met up at SRM, we'll let you know specs on the DC trip once we get a bit closer.....

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:15 AM
I guess I fall into the 'lurker' category also, for the same reasons listed above I sinply don't post often. You may not see many messages from me but just know that I'm here supporting the site.
+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:23 AM
I guess this is the perfect time to come out of the woodwork. A lot of you may know me from URC. Many of my friends from URC (mainly Chuck Nungester and Chris Trease) has been speaking some great things about this message board, so I started reading about a month ago. I've been looking for the perfect opportunity to speak up, and rollergator, you've just provided it. A little background for those who don't know me: I'm 18 years old, live in Dayton, Ohio, my home parks are Paramounts Kings Island and LeSourdesville Lake, my favorite park is Holiday World, I've been on 55 coasters and to 8 different parks, and I prefer wood over steel. I look forward to some great conversation on the 'buzz.


-------------
swOHman a.k.a. Brian
"Don't Look Back"

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:32 AM

Rollergator, I would never have picked you out as an Underground fan. I just saw them in Columbus about two months ago, and they're still very entertaining.

Anyway, back on topic-I, too, feel like I post too much (does that count as saying "me too?), but my job sits me in front of a computer all day long, and the urge to reply gets too strong too bear at times. I very rarely start topics (maybe that means I have nothing original to say), but I enjoy contributing what little knowledge and insight I have.

I probably fall under Jeff's category of "posting to hear myself talk" sometimes (man, a "me too" AND a "let's kiss Jeff's ass" in one post-I'm slipping), so I will try to restrain myself in the future, and I fully encourage "lurkers" to come out of the woodwork.

-----------------
Proud CB club member

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 8:18 AM

I don't post often. I mostly read because I come on this forum to learn and I had a teacher tell me that you learn more with your mouth closed than open.

So with that rule I only respond when I feel I really have something important to say.

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:33 AM
i am basically a lurker, umm now that i think about it the only posts i've made have been in response to legal/lawyer bashing threads (which i probably should ignore as well)

However as a newbie to the Buzz and the "enthusiast" world, i generally lurk because:
1. i have not been on many of the rides discussed which i would think would prevent me from offering anything meaningful and useful to the discussion; and
2. With so many experts in one place, who wants to hear from a novice :); and
3. Finally, it really doesn't matter if i post or not. For instance, if 30 people say mean streak is a horrible ride and i believe that it isn't, does that mean that the other 30 people are suddenly going to change their minds if i say it isn't? nope, so IMO it's much more entertaining to sit back and...read.
-------------

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:44 AM

2Hostyl said:
Anyway, daily, I think that I should scale back from posting and fade into the obscurity of lurking. Only problem is that I think if I did, I'd stop reading totally because too many of the post are like "Me Too" or 'let's kiss Jeff's ass'. I think a bit of controversy makes for more interesting reading. Unfortuneatly, there appear not to be too many people willing to assume that role. So I (very arrogantly) think I am to valuble to lurk"

AMEN!

While I don't agree with SOME of your opinions, Jeremy, I do look forward to ALL of your posts. Healthy debate is a wonderful thing, and I think it's important to realize that we can all have different views, debate(argue) them heatedly, but still respect each other's opinion. I believe that those differences are what makes this forum great. I mean, how boring would it be if we truly did "all just get along"?:)

Later,
EV
-----
We are the Detroit Red Wings. You WILL be defeated. Resistance is futile.

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:49 AM

Hey now, I do my best to rid our community of me too posts. (I do let a few ass-kissing posts slip through from time to time... gives me incentive to put up with the nonsense. ;))

-----------------
Jeff - Webmaster/Admin - CoasterBuzz.com, Sillynonsense.com
"As far as I can tell it doesn't matter who you are. If you can believe, there's something worth fighting for..." - Garbage, "Parade"

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:49 AM

yes, but it's the one person who comes up with a different opinion, and can back it up, that makes ALL the difference....If PKI had just thrown up their hands on OL:FoF, we'd all be discussing how horrible the spaghetti-bowls are. Instead, they now have longer lines at all the parks, and we have a bunch of new rides that are vastly improved. There's more than a few creative, insightful people around the joint, but when I ran into all those "lurkers", I realized how much better off the *community* would be with a greater variety of opinions....

I've talked to folks who've been on less than a dozen coasters and had really interesting perspectives....YOU may learn more by listening, but we ALL learn more when more people voice their opinions, offering up "fresh" ideas and viewpoints....just my 2 bits (50 cents for those who care)....

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:58 AM

Lawhergirl said:

...

3. Finally, it really doesn't matter if i post or not. For instance, if 30 people say mean streak is a horrible ride and i believe that it isn't, does that mean that the other 30 people are suddenly going to change their minds if i say it isn't? nope, so IMO it's much more entertaining to sit back and...read.
-------------



You're right. You're not going to change their minds. But I for one like to hear when someone disagrees about a ride; it let's me know that I'm not the strange one. For example: I dislike Magnum and wouldn't miss it if it were torn down (here come the flames). But by saying so I've found other people that agree with me; therefore, I know I'm only partially insane.

Please keep voicing your opinion.

-----------------
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 1:42 PM

It's called irony, Willy. Serious.

As for posting, I just don't usually have anything to say, or much, or I just don't feel like interjecting on every single topic. I hate sounding like a know-it-all (even if I am), or an idiot (ditto.)

+0
Wednesday, June 12, 2002 3:37 PM
Well I came out of the woodwork a couple of weeks ago after lurking for a long time with only a rare post. finally got my login working again after it wouldn't let me login for a while (don't ask me, I still don't know why).

I kind of agree with Jeremy to in that I only try to post if I have something to say that I feel is noteworthy. Though I do find myself posting a lot on the forums (here and on the email list I'm a part of) that I'm sure others find pointless.

kind of like this post I imagine.

-------------
Sometimes it's up. Sometimes it's down.
But with God, life is one thrill ride that you'll never regret being on.

+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...