Help me identify a flat ride...

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:21 PM

Alrighty, I've searched all of Wikipedia trying to find this carnival ride from when I was a wee lad. I'm wondering if you guys can help me. I'll try my best to describe the ride because I can't find any pictures of it.

The ride itself looks like a Ring of Fire flatride with a train traveling along a circular track, but instead of being circular, the track is bent into an oval (or a squoval). The track itself also rotates along the X axis. So as the train travels around the track, the track itself spins horizontally.

Anyone remember this ride or know the name?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:38 PM

That would have been a Hi Roller. Lots of fun, but a heck of a tight squeeze into the car with a friend.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:56 PM

YES! Funny that's exactly what I there was no room to move in the car

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:30 PM

They're painful but fun.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:49 PM

You would also be wise to ride with a partner, as you would slam side-to-side without one. The Hi-Roller, built by Larson (Ring of Fire, Modern Flying Scooters) is still found in traveling carnivals.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:46 AM

There are things you need not do in life. The Hi-Roller is one of those things.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:45 AM

I took one look at one of these at the Florida State Fair about ten years ago and said NO WAY. lol


You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2019, POP World Media, LLC