foreign coaster terms

Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:01 PM
Does anyone know any place where one could find coaster terms in foreign languages?
Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:54 PM
El Loop-oh? You could do a search for that Alta-Vista translator and maybe use that.

Tim Schroll
Long Live the Whizzer!

Thursday, July 18, 2002 7:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not that simple. Things don't always directly translate. For example, our word for one inversion is corkscrew, or cork+screw...whereas the French word for such an inversion is "tire-bouchon," which literally translates into "pull stopper." Thus a literal translation from a place such as... Altavista, is useless in this kind of situation. So, does anyone have any clue?

Thursday, July 18, 2002 7:53 PM
You could try Loop is el lazo(Spanish)

Welcome back Force riders how was your ride!!!

*** This post was edited by Chadster on 7/18/2002. ***

Thursday, July 18, 2002 7:57 PM
The online translators are not coaster enthusiasts. For example, "Roller Coaster" would translate to "montana rusa" in Spanish, and translated back to English it would be "Russian Mountain." I'm sorry, but my knowledge of Spanish does not include coaster elements, except maybe inversio'n.

My two favorite coasters are named Superman.

Thursday, July 18, 2002 8:01 PM

Astro, thank you for understanding. That is exactly what I tried to say in my last post. It's the same for French with "Roller Coaster" ~ it translates as "montagnes russes" which translates back as Russian Mountains.


You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2020, POP World Media, LLC