Dozens hospitalized following apparent chlorine gas exposure at Michigan's Adventure

Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:28 PM | Contributed by ~BRIAN~

Emergency responders and Michigan's Adventure staff will meet next week to discuss an accident in which more than 50 of the amusement park's visitors were exposed to a harmful gas cloud, authorities said. Muskegon County Hazmat Official and Muskegon Heights Fire Chief Christopher J. Dean said muriatic acid and sodium hydrochloride, two common household pool chemicals, combined and created a hazardous "small chlorine gas cloud" at about 4:07 p.m. on Friday, July 11.

Read more from The Muskegon Chronicle.

Related parks

Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:49 PM
sws's avatar

We can probably rule out an accidental gas leak while they were placing footers for their new coaster.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:57 PM

The people of Michigan are all so physically fit!

At least the photographer got some decent coaster shots.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:07 PM
Rickrollercoaster's avatar

Hope everyone's okay. But, sadly lawsuits are bound to follow.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:08 PM
sws's avatar

I suspect T-R just used too much bleach when cleaning his tighty-whities.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:43 AM

Rickrollercoaster said:

Hope everyone's okay. But, sadly lawsuits are bound to follow.

Not all lawsuits are frivolous. Accidental or not, this incident strikes me as a pretty big "oopsie." I hope the park makes it right, both for their reputation and the guests who were impacted.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 3:53 PM
Rickrollercoaster's avatar

They should definitely pay for medical care. Absolutely.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:36 PM
LostKause's avatar

Even if they absolutely warn riders to keep their hand inside the boat before they ride?

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:35 PM
Raven-Phile's avatar

I don't think he was saying anything about that incident. I think these are 2 completely different scenarios.

Of course, Disney will probably wind up paying the guy who lost his finger tips even if it was his own fault. That's just the nature of the company and the idea of avoiding any bad press that could come about.

The people at Michigan's Adventure have every right to sue. They have a right to not be exposed to harmful gasses in the air. It happened on Michigan's adventure's property, because of their equipment, so they are ultimately responsible.

R.I.P LeRoi Moore 9/7/61 - 8/19/2008
Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:49 PM
LostKause's avatar

Oops! Wrong topic. I agree. The park should absolutely pay for medical expenses from chlorine gas exposure. Didn't something like this happen a few years ago? I can't remember, but I think it could have even happened at the same park.

Monday, July 14, 2014 1:11 AM

I thought you might've been a tad confused there, Travis, but I was too polite to say anything.

The other incident you might be thinking of happened at Great Wolf Lodge at Kings Island.

There's no reason to think that the park wouldn't take full responsibility for this accident.

Monday, July 14, 2014 10:36 AM
rollergator's avatar

Shortly after leaving the park, the employee responsible went home only to mix ammonia and bleach, with similar results...

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:40 AM

I mixed Mentos & Coke once, with very different results...

Where is T-R? He must be enjoying the after hours activities at CP.

Last edited by Blackie, Monday, July 14, 2014 11:41 AM

I fail. That is why I succeed.

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:50 AM
Vater's avatar

He's somewhere mid-Timbers trying to get a wifi connection.

Monday, July 14, 2014 12:40 PM
Walk-Off HBP's avatar

Maybe GL's Wildwater Kingdom can send them a used chlorine monitor since they won't be needing it anymore.

Never has gravity been so uplifting.

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:06 PM
Timber-Rider's avatar

I have not been on lately because I do not have an internet connection at home. Also I have not been to MA this year, and do not plan to go. Nothing new, with nothing but a raise in prices, and a stupid meal plan is nothing to get excited about. Unless there was a tighty whitey coaster day, then maybe. LOL!!

As for the gas thing, I was actually experienced a similar chemical gas while cleaning my checkout lane at meijer. A lady bought toilet bowl cleaner, and it broke on my lane, so, I attempted to clean it with the water soap solution we cleaned our belts with. Well, unknown to me, the retard who filled our cleaning bottles put ammonia in the bottles.

So, when I attempted to clean the mess, I unknowingly created a gas, which made me very sick. Your throat feels like it is on fire, and you gasp for air, as I am guessing air can't get through the gas, to get it out of your lungs. I had to be rushed outside, and gasped for breath for over 45 minutes, while they called an ambulance.

The people at MA were very lucky that it happened outside. If it had happened anywhere else, it could have been a lot worse. Like inside one of the enclosed tube slides where the gas would be trapped.

I may sound a bit drastic, but having dealt with similar gas exposure, it is something you never want to happen to you. Prolonged exposure can cause very serious damage to not only your lungs, but your brain as well. And, for those of you smarty pants, keep your jokes to a minimum.

Last edited by Timber-Rider, Monday, August 4, 2014 7:07 PM

I didn't do it! I swear!!

Monday, August 4, 2014 8:38 PM

Meijer must be the Forrest Gump of retail.

The amusement park rises bold and are huddled on the beach in a mist

Monday, August 4, 2014 9:35 PM

More like T-R is the Forrest Gump of CBuzz threads.

Last edited by bigboy, Monday, August 4, 2014 9:35 PM

Monday, August 4, 2014 9:58 PM
Vater's avatar


You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC