Posted Monday, November 12, 2007 7:28 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Gonch the cabana boy, coming to Carowinds this summer!
- Hong Kong Disneyland may receive backing from government, who has a more than half stake in the place.
- Holiday World getting headlines locally for water usage concerns, but they're not the only source of growth in the community.
- Universal turning green with publicity.
- The Gravity Group launches its new Web site. We're looking forward to Ravine Flyer II.
- New plan for Coney Island, but don't you have to own the land before you decide what to do with it? How much housing is too much housing? And by the way, O'Hare sucks.
- The 49ers now want to put their stadium across the street. Why didn't they think of that sooner? The egos around pro football teams are ridiculous. Jeff gets pissed hearing about them.
- Disney continues to kick ass and take names. They win the financial results contest for the week.
- Euro Disney on the up and up, and only lost half as much as last year.
- Cedar Fair up slightly in terms of revenue, but attendance keeps going to the crapper. Paramount Parks approach was very different, opting to sell more passes than the original Cedar Fair parks.
- Six Flags takes a serious dump, misses expectations, but Gonch maintains that despite the poor quarter, they're still going in the right direction.
- Insert rant on Wall Street's quarterly obsession.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Monday, November 12, 2007 8:19 PM
The Ballpark you see in the Coney Island rendering is already there.
It's not a great picture, but I took this picture in August.
*** This post was edited by Jason Hammond 11/12/2007 9:20:04 PM ***
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:45 PM
Disney actually is doing very well still with tv. ESPN will always be a leader in sports, which is still doing very well. ABC has been rising since its downfall in the late 90s, early 2000s. You listed a few of their successful shows, but they have quite a few others as well. http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272
Theres a website with this weeks tv ratings, and you will see ABC has done quite well. Usually you will see more ABC on there than you do this week, but a lot of this week was reruns with the exception of the few shows you see on there making the charts. Disney seems to be doing very well all around. TV, movies, parks, and that high school musical stuff isn't hurting them.
*** This post was edited by IntaminHater 11/13/2007 2:48:50 PM ***
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:11 AM
On the ratings issue, I'm wondering what will happen in a couple weeks, or as more and more shows succumb to the writer's strike. Poor-performing/low-rated shows won't be back...
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:21 PM
Well, it is the busiest airport in the world along with Atanta. It's the nature of the beast. You fly into an airport that transports more people then anywhere else, you are going to deal with waits, taxiing delays, etc. Next time try Midway.