Posted Monday, September 13, 2010 12:48 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Gonch, Mike and Carrie review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- The Fall Affair, this Saturday at Holiday World. On-site registration will be $45, or $20 if you have a ticket or season pass. It looks like we've got 100 people so far.
- Gunmen rob Six Flags Discovery Kingdom workers. How do you get away with that given the closed nature of the park?
- Former employees of Freestyle Music Park get in line for unpaid compensation.
- Geauga Lake Big Dipper drama continues... to be silly. Anonymous seller now says it's doomed for the wrecking ball if it isn't bought by September 15.
- Six Flags continues to flesh out its executive team with a new CEO and chief lawyer.
- Ticket, parking and food pricing: What's the magic formula? Jeff and Gonch prefer the front-loading approach, with higher pass/ticket prices. Mike says Six Flags would likely alienate much of their audience that way. What would Holiday World do?
- SeaWorld loses an Orca. Apparently no one here cares.
- Dreamworld teases their new tower car, and the panel fails to watch it. They suck.
- Busch Gardens Williamsburg also teases. Gonch watched that one and thought it was like a Japanese monster movie.
- Cedar Fair reports rise in attendance and revenue, per cap overall is down a little. Jeff's tired of $12 subs. We ask again, is the recession on the upside?
- Waldameer also has a good year, will build more rides. And charm.
- Six Flags Over Texas Under Water. Gonch watched that one too.
- Retired Kennywood worker's funeral procession rolls through park. Carrie points out that most people probably would not want to visit their place of work postmortem.
- Disney's California Adventure rehab continues. Mike says it'll be nice when the construction is done.
- Kentucky Kingdom comeback looking more likely. If it happens, what might the impact on Holiday World be?
- New park for Spain with a Paramount Pictures theme. One of our Brit friends says it's in an area not exclusively touristy.
- Carousel horse auction in NYC. Jeff "finds" PTC 45 at a zoo in Seattle, having been relocated from Great America in Santa Clara, and the Cincinnati Zoo before that.
- Golden Tickets issued again, few surprises. It's another weird relationship between the industry and the magazine. Holiday World wins big.
- BooBuzz returns to Cedar Point on Friday, October 15.
- You can get the latest headlines on CoasterBuzz from the Twitter. Follow us @coasterbuzz. You can also like us on Facebook.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Monday, September 13, 2010 12:08 PM
Who's the old geezer in the blue streak reference referring to? ;-) (<--That's my Winky)
Monday, September 13, 2010 1:08 PM
I guess it wouldn't be CoasterBuzz if I wasn't asked to back up my statements, eh? ;)
"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins." --- Benjamin Franklin
Monday, September 13, 2010 1:51 PM
Stop showing me your winky! Minors could be logged in!
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:31 AM
I'm more concerned about the Decepticon presence than the winky. ;)
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:47 AM
Not everyone likes a good guy all the time ;-)
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:05 AM
Jerry is not my friend.
Website | Flickr | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:04 PM
Jerry is not my friend.
That's right - you haven't paid your annual friendship dues to me - I accept paypal.
On a more relevant note - does anyone know if they are auctioning or recycling any of the Disney California Adventure items they are removing?
Monday, September 27, 2010 1:11 AM
Finally got around to listening...
The carousel at the Columbus Zoo was moved from Wyandot Lake back when Six Flags was mistreating it. Before that it was at the Columbus Zoo Amusement Park (same place) and had been moved there when Olentangy Park closed around 1940. Like you, I forget when it opened, but it has been in Columbus since it was built.
--Dave Althoff, Jr.
/X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX