Posted Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:49 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Gonch, Carrie and Mike review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Nashville flooding prompts auctioning of the Holiday World staff. Gonch is counting his pennies to "own" Paula.
- Cedar Fair is offering free admission for military folks, but only on certain days. Feels like a half-assed gesture intended to get more butts in the parks, especially compared to the SeaWorld parks' offer.
- Shoot the Rapids didn't open in time for Cedar Point's opening because the boats don't fit. Another win for Intamin!
- Mark Shapiro is out as CEO of Six Flags. He will be missed for changing the company culture to one of rational capital expenditures and new territory for marketing revenue. The group discusses where in-park marketing starts to cross a line.
- The Walt Disney World Resort will add another 2,000 rooms with the Art of Animation, located on the grounds of what was going to be the other half of Pop Century. Check out the Bing map from bird's eye view of the unfinished buildings. Imagine what this means for off-property hotels, when Disney adds that many.
- Q Investments wants Cedar Fair to pay out .50 a unit per year.
- Sony Pictures wants to do an animated Rollercoaster Tycoon movie, and we're pretty sure it'll suck. Gonch neglected his kids to play that game and won a pinball machine.
- Sea lion moves in at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom after some douchebag shoots him in the face.
- Yet another thread erupts in the forums about virtual queues. Jeff believes the haters either don't understand it or are just unwilling to participate. FastPass rules.
- The short seat belt conspiracy seems to have returned at Cedar Point's Millennium Force.
- If you need your club membership card for coming events, please don't wait until the last minute.
- Check out the event list on the CoasterBuzz Club page.
- You can get the latest headlines on CoasterBuzz from the Twitter. Follow us @coasterbuzz.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:43 PM
Old shots of the abandoned hotel/ new hotel
Its sad when your best friend asks you the exact running time of a ride. Good thing I didnt know.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:49 PM
Wow, great find! I'd be even more curious to see how much work was done in the hall and the guest rooms.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:36 PM
Ryan at Illicit Ohio has quite a few pix in his gallery (linked at the bottom of this page). I'm not sure since he doesn't have captions, but based on where they are in the photo set I think this might be the inside of the main building:
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:09 PM
More good stuff. It's crazy how quickly they just stopped. It'll be interesting to see how much of what they did will be used in the final "Art" resort.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:55 AM
To keep up with every other post being a link:
Some video of the unfinished hotel.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:16 AM
Holy crap. Check out the 1:02 mark...at first glance I thought there was a giant cockroach cruising across the wall.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:18 AM
Kpjp's link reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus. Sparse, abandons land with no one in sight. I expected to see a giant beast slowly walking towards the camera.
Those rooms look kind of small, imho, and I am used to staying at the cheaper hotels.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:05 PM
They're really not that small. I have a great photo of the interior of the finished rooms, just not on me. Or online. I'm a hotel snob, and Pop Century has been good enough for me to stay at four times.
Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:50 PM
I posted some photos in the Day In Pictures forum of Pop Century rooms and what not, for reference.
Last edited by Jeff, Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:50 PM
Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:33 AM
Thanks for that. The rooms seem to me to be about the same size as most smaller rooms that I have stayed at, in various hotels. To me, they did seem smaller then that in the video.
Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:45 AM
To me, it's comparable to a Holiday Inn express, only with exterior entry.
R.I.P LeRoi Moore 9/7/61 - 8/19/2008