Posted Monday, November 2, 2009 8:48 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Mike, Pat and Carrie review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Ridiculously slow news week, plus enthusiasts were busy doing final weekend stuff at seasonal parks.
- Mike has a good weekend with Natalia at Great America, Jeff is astounded by the low attendance at Cedar Point. Weather was a huge issue this fall.
- Jeff starts in an off-topic rant about radio, and is sad about the low participation at his college station.
- Legoland coming to Southern Illinois? Plus hotel expansion in California.
- Also off-topic, Jeff attends a baby shower.
- Oh, and look, the crew starts talking about cross-country driving, Google and Bing maps and the location of Devil's Tower. Carrie did an 11-hour drive to Holiday World last year.
- Southern Star misses a bond application deadline. Isn't it funny how Nickelodeon will whore themselves out to anyone who can pay, yet Hard Rock backs off hard when a licensee fails?
- Busch parks won't have to deal with ridiculous net 90 terms for their vendors as they did under InBev rule.
- A Shanghai Disney park looks like a go. China's a nice market to go if you're trying to expand.
- Mike describes really strange Halloween treatment for Space Mountain at Disneyland. Special access loading platforms are a good idea if you can afford to build one.
- Programming note: The show will be off the next two weeks, and return November 23, starting a bi-weekly schedule for the off-season.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Monday, November 2, 2009 11:08 PM
Man.. Either my weeks are flying or you guys are cranking these podcasts out.. Nice work..
Btw.. On the CB Podcast link you list #163 as #162, not that it affects the download.. purely an OCD thing :)
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:05 AM
Oops. I fixed that numbering.
We've been cranking them out, but I feel a little like we've been cranking out crap. The break is much needed.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:18 AM
I dunno.. I think there have been a lot more segues in the recent podcasts.. But none have been sleeping pills to me. Most the time im listening to them during a dull drive up I95, which could be a dangerous combo if they were bad.
Breaks arent bad though.. I think you will naturally get one soon as we wind down most of the northern park seasons.
Either way, I was just as entertained, even with 4 players on the cast. I was worried I would get confused in conversation with so many people and no visual queues, but you guys mix well.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:11 PM
I was worried I would get confused in conversation with so many people and no visual queues, but you guys mix well.
Can you tell which voice is mine? ;)
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:38 PM
The one I replayed over and over and listened more closely too :)
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:47 PM
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:06 PM
BTW...Just to contribute my fair share...Sundance film festival is held in Park City, UT, not Wyoming or Colorado
Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:17 PM
Heh. Awesome. Thanks, Bill.
See, we learn something each week. :)
Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:29 AM
Utah! Why the hell was I thinking Colorado? It's true that I've never actually spent time in the Mountain time zone. Next week will be my first time.
Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:26 PM
Pisone? Geez they are all over Western PA, bada bing!
Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:52 PM
Puzzoni = Hybrid of Putz and Mattoni.
Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:05 PM
Okay, but it's still pronounced the same ;)