Posted Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:06 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- CoasterBuzz members ride Gemini at Cedar Point all day to raise over $8k for Give Kids The World. Awesome group, awesome crew, awesome charity. Jeff talks up the organization and its cause.
- Freestyle attendance not ideal in its first year. Gonch believes that the park isn't enough in terms of attractions, and now it's missing the "vibe" that filled the gap.
- Can the official Disney fan conference reach the level of a Comic-Con kind of affair?
- Dubailand, not so big and thriving, actually.
- Food Network show features enthusiast feeding at Six Flags Great America.
- Carowinds announces, wait for it, Intimidator. But not with the 305. Jeff can't believe the complaining already about this ride and the one at Dominion.
- Jeff notices traffic spikes with ride announcements and new features.
- PBS affiliate posts video for Kings Island history. "Facts" are a little odd, but it's a solid video otherwise.
- Busch Gardens Tampa outlines some of the new Sesame Street stuff, including character breakfasts. Jeff says no to Elmo. What's with kids who need constant electronic stimulation?
- Job and hour cuts at Orlando parks eventually negatively affect the guest experience.
- Disney World is extending the free dining plan offer, which Jeff loves.
- Nickelodeon license appears to be at an end around the Cedar Fair parks, and word on the street is that it's just not a good deal for the company.
- CoasterBuzz Club is $25 per year. You can join or renew today. Enjoy CoasterBuzz with no ads.
- BooBuzz 2009 details posted for Cedar Point!
- The Fall Affair at Holiday World promises to be a big deal. Register today!
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:54 PM
Where do you fly to get to the Smokeys? Charlotte, duh. It's a major USAirways hub.If you have to fly to just about anywhere on the East coast from the west, it's one of two airports they will route you through.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:03 PM
Nah. Fly Southwest and fly into Nashville.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:39 PM
CLE to CLT is crazy expensive. And it's, what, three plus hours at least to the Smokies?
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:42 PM
Maybe for you, but flying from MHT, SWA has at least a couple of flight that go through Nashville.
Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:48 PM
Costs about the same as flying from San Diego to Vegas, about $200 (unless SW has one of it's specials).
Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:14 PM
Yeah, I can go to Vegas from Cleveland for around $200 as well. I don't understand what you're comparing. Flying to Charlotte from here is not cheap or convenient to go to the Smoky Mountains.
Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:06 PM
I guess what I'm trying to get at is what is your time worth? You can drive to Pigeon Forge from the Cleveland area in about 8-9 hours. You can fly to Charlotte in an hour, and drive for another four hours to Pigeon Forge. Nashville is about the same price and flight time and three and a half hour to your destination. Knoxville is the nearest airport to Pigeon Forge,the flight time is about an hour also, with a final drive time of approx 47 mins, but costs $200 more to get there.
Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:11 PM
So, I'm not allowed to believe that all of the options suck?
Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:54 PM