Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 10:55 PM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff, Mike and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- The show will be off the next two weeks while Jeff is his honeymoon. Gonch will party on a boat.
- Texas Giant is getting a $10 million renovation. Is that a tear it down and start over deal? A discussion ensues about why some people enjoy the ride.
- Six Flags creditor doesn't want to talk. The posturing before bankruptcy begins.
- Disney backs off on designing new parts for the Hong Kong park as they have no agreement with the government.
- Ghost Town in the Sky plans to open despite bankruptcy. Gonch has been there, and thinks it's a neat place.
- Florida makes another silly move and prohibits parents to sign waivers on behalf of their kids. Tourism industry isn't pleased.
- Goldman Sachs allegedly trying to take Universal Studios Japan private. Jeff likes private.
- Six Flags opens up a hair salon. No joke. Seems silly when you think about it, but we've got it figured out. It's a good idea.
- Dorney has to rename a ride to an adjective. Jeff plays the role of enthusiass and makes fun of "Flight Deck" some more.
- The clock is ticking on Hard Rock Park, and we still don't know if they get to keep the name.
- Tourism spending is down over the same quarter last year. Isn't that partly because of all the discounting?
- A very long discussion happens over the time difference between Houston and Honolulu. A really long discussion. Then there's stuff about the airplane food.
- Disney's Toy Story Mania is coming to the Wii.
- Fun Spot fail. Six Flags Over Texas alcohol win. Cooter watches.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain is still building a wood coaster with a Terminator theme.
- Mike suggests that Gonch shows up in a tuxedo T-shirt for the wedding.
- Disney World lets go of more people, mostly middle management types.
- More talk on flying, pre-wedding parties, strange wieners and other customs.
- We appreciate your support of CoasterBuzz by joining the club. It's still just $20 per year.
Link: CoasterBuzz Podcast
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:31 AM
btw, Daisy Duke was his cousin, not his sister. I can't believe I knew that, but...
Love the idea of the beach wedding. Congratulations, and good luck!
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:04 AM
Re: Disney Boys Dress up Options
Dress up for boys is quite limited.. They have the "Cool Dudes" package at World of Disney which is pretty cheesy. They just get "cool dude" hair gel and confetti (go figure).
At Magic Kingdom they could either be a Pirate or opt for the "Cool Dude" package there as well.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:04 AM
Very entertaining, guys!
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:34 PM
In hindsight we really could have used a female perspective on strange wieners.
EDIT - I spelled 'wieners' incorrectly.
Last edited by Lord Gonchar, Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:35 PM
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:14 PM
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:15 PM
Why didn't you ask your wife? ;)
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:39 PM
^I was wondering how Gonch could say he's gay for Shapiro AND fail to spell wiener correctly.... ;)
Last edited by rollergator, Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:42 PM
....and why I couldn't spell (well, type) "correctly" correctly.... :)
Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:42 AM
With the SF haircut thing and Disney being included. Shapiro got the licensing to sell Disney merchandise because they offer it in their shops.
Makes sense to also offer it in the salons.
With BGA doing a 50 year anniversary asking people to bring in stuff, it's kind of ironic that while they display this stuff, they also remove some of the park's history including free beer, beer school, and displays showing the history of AB itself. Just a wierd timing I guess.