Posted Monday, September 8, 2008 10:57 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Jeff and Pat review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- BHAG's and Merlin Entertainment.
- Fort Wilderness upgrades at Disney aren't even camping. Jeff doesn't care for sleeping on the ground.
- Everyone doing Halloween stuff is going to be open into a November date, mostly because it's the first time it has fallen on a Friday since it became big business at amusement parks. We wonder if it comes at the expense of summer attendance.
- Holiday World is building Pilgrims Plunge, the tallest boat splash ride. Jeff is surprised it's Intamin, and Pat is surprised it's the "-est" something. Jeff was right about lo-jacking the kids.
- Hong Kong Disneyland did better, but not quite good enough.
- Halloween events announced, lots of changes at Cedar Point's Halloweekends, including a pirate themed walk-through on Millennium Force Island.
- Kings Island opens a walk of fame.
- Yet another guy steps in front of a roller coaster in a low zone. The debate continues about the sensitivity of death versus the stupidity involved.
- Worlds of Fun announces Prowler, a GCI. We hope that this, with Renegade at Valleyfair, are setting a precedent with Cedar Fair people.
- Lassiters want to move up trial date versus Kentucky Kingdom. It's important to show the distinction in the agenda of the family versus someone like Ed Markey.
- Regional parks may be benefiting from high gas prices. Gonch maintains that people will do vacation stuff one way or another, even if it is close by.
- Astroland is no more, for real this time. Coney Island is in a very slow transition, and no one is sure what to.
- An investor in Hard Rock Park writes off investment as a loss. Do they know something we don't?
- The Orlando Mommies don't like Universal Orlando's horror night billboards.
- Six Flags and Mars make sweet marketing love.
- CoasterBuzz.com has been relaunched for the first time in five years. Check out the video tours in particular to understand the features. The site is much faster than it was.
- CoasterBuzz Club events coming up this year: The Fall Affair at Holiday World, and BooBuzz at Cedar Point. Visit the CoasterBuzz Club page for more information.
Visit CoasterBuzz Podcast.