Posted Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:34 AM | Contributed by PhantomTails
Oriental Land Co, Ltd. has reached an agreement with Cirque du Soleil and The Walt Disney Company to open a permanent theater within Tokyo Disney Resort for the world-famous entertainment group, Cirque du Soleil. This will be Cirque du Soleil’s first permanent theater and show in Japan and its first permanent venture outside North America. Cirque du Soleil will develop an original show exclusively for this theater, adding an exciting new entertainment component to Tokyo Disney Resort.
Read the press release from Cirque du Soleil.
Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:57 AM
Wow, they are really branching out (11 shows simultaneously??!). I wonder if we'll ever see them at say, DCA? Or would that be too close to the Vegas market?
And if you are worried about an appropriate theme, how about gold miners and surfers jumping through hoops? ;)
*** This post was edited by janfrederick 4/14/2005 10:59:06 AM ***
Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:07 PM
Seeing as how there are already two (three?) in Vegas, I doubt they're concerned about over-saturating the market.
Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:38 PM
Jeff, there are now four in Vegas, if I recall correctly. KA, ZUMANITY, MYSTERE, and O.
I loved LA NOUBA at WDW in Orlando...and can only imagine what this new permanent show will bring.
Thursday, April 14, 2005 3:26 PM
Five if you count the Beatles show opening in 2006. ;)
Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:59 PM
Here is the current list of shows that Cirque du Soleil is performing and where they are....
- La Nouba - Walt Disney World (Orlando) Resident Show
- O -Bellagio (Las Vegas) Resident Show
- Mystère - Treasure Island (Las Vegas) Resident Show
- KÁ - MGM Grand (Las Vegas) Resident Show
- Zumanity - New York New York (Las Vegas) Resident Show
- Saltimbano - Touring (Currently in Paris)
- Quidam - Touring (Currently in Melbourne)
- Alegría - Touring (Currently in Nagova)
- Dralion - Touring (Currently in Barcelona)
- Varekai - Touring (Currently in Pittsburgh, PA)
- Corteo - Touring (Currently in Montreal)
- The Bar at the Edge of the Earth (Celebrity Cruises)
- Cirque 2007 - New Touring Show
- Beatles - Mirage (Las Vegas) New Resident Show
- Cirque 2008 - Toyko Disneyland Resort (Chiba, Japan) Resident Show
So far I have seen Varekai and La Nouba which are both great shows. We already have tickets for Corteo when in is in Minneaopolis in September. For those who have only seen La Nouba, I think you would be blown away by Varekai as it is 100x's better. I wonder why they aren't just shipping La Nouba over there and giving WDW a new show. Also as someone mentioned, I heard rumors that DLR would be getting one soon as well.
Friday, April 22, 2005 12:49 AM
Maybe its just me, but when I saw the one in Orlando I kept getting annoyed by how artsy it was. The live music is good, but I just wanted them to do cool stuff instead of waving their arms around for 12 minutes before each stunt. I did see it like 5 years ago, so age might have been a factor in my impacience.