Posted Friday, August 25, 2006 9:39 AM | Contributed by Jeff
Wednesday night, a child was shocked on a ride at the Lorain County Fair in Ohio. Witnesses say a child was shocked while riding the Whirlwind. The girl was speaking to emergency crews before she was lifeflighted to MetroHealth Medical Center, and was later released.
Read more and see video from WKYC/Cleveland.
Friday, August 25, 2006 9:41 AM
Good coverage on the video story (one of the better local TV news operations here in Cleveland). It's fairly screwed up that this happened again. Something just isn't right about the fair rides in Ohio. They're getting away with a lot more than the fixed-site amusement parks, and I suspect it's the insurance companies of all people that aren't driving higher safety standards.
Friday, August 25, 2006 12:47 PM
Have you seen this particular carnival in action, Jeff? When I have seen them, they have maintained an obviously high standard for presentation and operation. The Bates operation is a high-end carnival, in my opinion of a higher standard than most, no doubt at least in part due to their involvement (via cross-ownership) in ride manufacturing.
I'm going to reserve judgement on this one until I have better information on exactly what went wrong. This is a situation where a kid was shocked NOT on the ride as reported, but when she touched a *fence*. I can think of ways for that to happen which do not require a failure of the ride's electrical system or the power system tie-in. In fact the first thing to look for might be a big orange extension cord plugged in inside a nearby building...
--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Friday, August 25, 2006 12:50 PM
I don't go to carnivals anymore, so of course I haven't seen any in action. :)
Friday, August 25, 2006 1:00 PM
I'm glad the kid didn't die. All too well I remember when that kid died on the Dodgems at an ohio carnival two years ago.
Friday, August 25, 2006 2:59 PM
Right; that's the Greyson Yoe case alluded to in both the news story and in Jeff's first comment.
--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Friday, August 25, 2006 5:00 PM
I know this is kinda tastless...
But I Was SHOCKED when I heard it was Bates!
Friday, August 25, 2006 5:51 PM
^ Haha ouch... that is really tasteless. Clever though... you're probably going to get *****ed at for saying that here.