Carowinds fined $42,000 for six OSHA violations after worker accident

Posted Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:01 AM | Contributed by Jeff

The parent Company of Carowinds amusement park has been fined $42,000 by federal safety officials after a maintenance worker was injured in March, documents show.

Read more from WBTV/Charlotte.

Related parks

Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:54 AM

It involved a Windseeker, I'm not surprised.

+0
Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:56 AM

These things really are inferior to the starflyers in every possible sense... they should all be replaced w/ the 400' models like in Orlando. The first time I rode one of these the seat in front of me swung back hard and bruised my knee.

+0
Monday, November 18, 2019 1:47 PM

I wouldn't think that was possible, that they only swing side to side on the Windseeker models, having ridden a few.

While I much prefer the Starflyer experience, they seem to have roughly half the capacity. I also know plenty of people who absolutely refuse to ride that high with chains as supports, so I get the appeal of WS vs SF. Personally, that's why I like the SF models, the chains, and the range of motion they allow are much more thrilling.

+1Loading
Monday, November 18, 2019 3:45 PM

I'm not one prone to fear of heights, especially on any ride, but Starflyers do give me an unsettled feeling. It's irrational since I know the possibility of something going wrong is so slim. I've flown Skycoasters dozens of times and never been even a little bothered.

+0
Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:14 PM

I’ve never been on a Starflyer, but Windseekers are my favorite rides that aren’t coasters. I wish there were more details about the accident in the article because this stuff is super interesting to me.

+0
Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:33 AM

Tommytheduck said:

I wouldn't think that was possible, that they only swing side to side on the Windseeker models, having ridden a few.

It's not possible *now*, but when they first opened, they used to move forward and backward quite a bit as well. They added dampers between each of the arms sometime thereafter to minimize that range of movement.

+2Loading

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2019, POP World Media, LLC