You can see it on the webcam.
The building in question, is next to corkscrew. I think that is a maintnance shop and a storage area for the night time fireworks.Last edited by crazy horse, Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:58 PM
I think that used to be their motor-pool garage place.
I hope the firefighter survives and is OK.
On pointbuzz it was mentioned that it might be the building they store the pyro for their nightly laser light show.
The fire was in the maintenance shops. The pyro stuff is not stored there, although at least one affected area was the paint shop. The vehicle maintenance shop and some gas pumps are right there too, but it appears they were untouched. Here's the article in the Sandusky Register.
Fireworks, heat, high humidity. Asking for trouble. If thats what it was. If it wasn't, Nevermind.
I wouldn't think that high humidity would be conducive to a fire. With as wet and thick as the air is, I'd almost imagine it stifling the fire, if anything.
It actually makes things more unstable than if it was dry. You don't store wet hay do you? Bale up some damp hay, put it in a barn, Your asking for big trouble. Same with dynamite which is basically a stronger version of most pyro.
Moisture makes hay more flammable?
That seems counter-intuitive, to say the least.
Though, surprisingly, there is some truth to that:
Hay baled before it is fully dry can produce enough heat to catch on fire. Farmers have to be careful about moisture levels to avoid spontaneous combustion, which is a leading cause of haystack fires. Heat is produced by the respiration process, which occurs until the moisture content of drying hay drops below 40%.
However, this problem does not extend to explosives, it seems:
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:44 AM
The introduction of water into an explosive is highly undesirable since it reduces the sensitivity, strength, and velocity of detonation of the explosive.
This seems oddly appropriate:
Started in a stairwell. Seems like a spot where a smoker would take a break.
Yeah, because we all know that non-AC'd stairwells (because most aren't directly climate-controlled) on a 90+F degree day are much better places to smoke than, say, in some shade outside where there's a breeze.
It is if you're smoking something you shouldn't be at work.........
Or if your trying to hide, because your not supposed to be smoking inside.
But that's the point, crazy. If you're not supposed to be smoking inside, why go to the warmest part of the building with the least ventilation, when the outdoors is both a legal place to smoke and mere steps away? It doesn't make any sense.
I suppose that line of thought may not hold up if we're talking about illicit drugs, but that still seems like a completely illogical place to toke, given that there are countless better places outside to partake.
Or if you're trying to look cool by hanging out with all the other rebels.
"Smokin in the stairwell..." :)
How do you know that the stairwell was not vented and or air treated? Just saying....
I don't know that (just like no one knows what started the fire).
But typically, it doesn't make financial sense to install HVAC in stairwells, especially in commercial & industrial buildings. Since stairwells also often have access to the outdoors, and not much time is spent in them, why pump all that precious treated air where it's not being used and where it'll easily escape to the outdoors?
Plus, we're talking about a storage & maintenance building here. I don't think it's likely that they'd have building-wide AC.
If it was in an area where paint was stored, don't they have to keep it at or around room tempature?
Or it could have been on open stairwell. No one outside of someone that works there would know.
Not arguing with you, just throwing it out there.
You must be logged in to post