Blowtorch accidentally started fire at Universal Hollywood

Posted Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:15 PM | Contributed by Jeff

A massive blaze that destroyed part of the back lot at Universal Studios was accidentally ignited by workers using a blowtorch on the roof of a movie set building facade, fire officials said. Workers had been using the blowtorch early Sunday to heat asphalt shingles to apply to the roof, Los Angeles County Fire Chief Michael Freeman said Monday. They finished around 3 a.m. and followed policy of standing watch for one hour, then left for a break, he said.

Read more from AP via CNN.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:09 PM
It was this same procedure that caused the Seabreeze fire that destroyed their PTC carousel.
+0
Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:11 PM
Can we teach the Son of Beast maintenance crew to use blowtorches?
+0
Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:35 PM
^ Agreed.

As a matter of fact, why not teach the Mean Streak Maintenence crew the same procedure?

+0
Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:04 AM
Sounds similar to the fire that led to extended damage at Idora Park in Youngstown, back in April of 1984.

Someone let a 'hot' welding torch sit idle, while they left for lunch.

+0
Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:45 AM
Sounds similar to the fire at Monte Carlo is Las Vegas as well.
+0

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC
Loading...