A Wing-a-ma-what?

Wednesday, July 16, 2003 7:12 PM
Okay, I was really depressed the other day, so I decided to look through my coaster video gallery. And the commentator described one of BTR's corkscrews as a WINGOVER. I just wanted to know the difference between the two. And... while were on the subject of naming inversions, what is the name of the first two inversions on a vekoma SLC?

On the seventh day, God created coasters!

Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:58 PM
They're the same - "wingover" is just B&M's term for an inverted corkscrew. There's an excellent table of elements with pictures at this site:


Come on fhqwhgads!

Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:56 PM
It's not a widely used term, but certain enthusiasts (I learned it that way) refer to corkscrews on inverts as "wingovers".

I've had debates on these very forums on whether it was a valid term. It seems to be an older term that isn't used very much anymore. I still get odd responses if I use "wingover" instead of corkscrew. I think there's enough people (and sources) who use the term to make it relevant - but those who do are definitely in the minority.

Dorney Park Visits in 2003: 15

Thursday, July 17, 2003 7:26 AM
That table of the elements calls an SLC's first two inversions a Vekoma cobra roll.
Thursday, July 17, 2003 7:27 AM
I believe the first two inversions on a SLC are called a sea serpent.

42,851 driving related deaths in the year 2002
8 Amusement park related deaths in 2002


Thursday, July 17, 2003 7:42 AM
A Vekoma cobra roll is similar to a B&M sea serpent.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2018, POP World Media, LLC